Menu
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is this the right wall socket?

I strongly suspect that VoIP is only provided for new installs even if the house had been prewired with a phone socket. I don't know if VM plans to completely replace its traditional landlines with VoIP (as does BT by 2025) but it will be a big job.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I suspect the VOIP in a property with a VM equivalent of a master socket is down to "exchange" capacity at the street cab.

I know a couple of installs happening this week (one done and one tomorrow) and they are getting "physical" landlines

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Updating existing installations could be quite disruptive too.  My VM landline / handset is currently about as far away from the broadband cable entry point and hub as it possibly could be.  I'd have to run a long phone extension wire through various rooms to be able to plug it into a hub.  I would also need a Hub3 and I really don't want to part with my reliable old SH2ac.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Dave_cq wrote:

Updating existing installations could be quite disruptive too.  My VM landline / handset is currently about as far away from the broadband cable entry point and hub as it possibly could be.  I'd have to run a long phone extension wire through various rooms to be able to plug it into a hub.  I would also need a Hub3 and I really don't want to part with my reliable old SH2ac.

If you are in this situation Virgin should install the necessary cabling as part of the changeover, although this is not always made clear by call centre staff.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
EightBall
Up to speed
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Probably different on an area by area basis but I know where I live, the majority of installs (existing master socket or not) have their telephony service provided via 21CV.

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Community elder
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@EightBall wrote:

Probably different on an area by area basis but I know where I live, the majority of installs (existing master socket or not) have their telephony service provided via 21CV.

I think ours must be provided via Citroen 2CV     Smiley Very Happy

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

If you are in this situation Virgin should install the necessary cabling as part of the changeover, although this is not always made clear by call centre staff.

Even if more new installs are now 21CV, I am sure that no existing active telephone install at the same address is being moved over to 21CV yet.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own