cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this normal Virgin installation service?

Bill-B
Tuning in

Virgin have just cabled my street and on 9 June I signed up for Virgin broadband. My dates were 21 June to install the line to my house and 4 July to install the equipment.

On 20 June I rang to check the line install was going ahead next day and was told no, it was actually today, i.e. 20 June, and the call centre guy told me where to find my appointment dates online. Sure enough View Your Orders said Broadband Monday 20 June between 8am – 6pm. I waited all day but no-one turned up.

Next morning it said Broadband Tuesday 21 June between 8am – 6pm. So I had been right – well no, no-one turned up Tuesday either. Wednesday, same story, so at 3.45 pm I rang virgin again and was assured the cable would be installed that day. The call handler even went away to check. I was sceptical. I was right, no-one turned up.

Same story every day since. Even Sunday the online system said Broadband Sunday 26 June between 8am – 6pm.

Is this normal Virgin service? I need to be in when the installers come so they know where to put it. The cable has to go under a concrete curb, through a rugosa hedge, across a lawn, under a flagstone path, and through a flower bed to reach the house. And I don’t want them drilling thru my wall behind a central heating radiator.

I get the impression the call centre is not in UK, and that the call handlers have no actual communication with the installation teams, but are just looking on systems which tell them what they tell me. So now I have been sitting at home 8am to 6pm every day for 2 weeks. There are now just 2 working days before the team come to install the indoor boxes. What chance that will happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VickD
Tuning in

Seems like it!

See my post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Pre-Install-Issues/td-p/5054671

I am expecting a connection tomorrow, but still no box on the wall outside. I also wanted to be home when they do the external work, but now I have given up and hoping fo rthe best 🙂

Not a very good first impression.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

VickD
Tuning in

Seems like it!

See my post:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Pre-Install-Issues/td-p/5054671

I am expecting a connection tomorrow, but still no box on the wall outside. I also wanted to be home when they do the external work, but now I have given up and hoping fo rthe best 🙂

Not a very good first impression.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes, quite normal. The dates for outside work are just notional.  They will come when/if they feel up to it. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Hi, thanks for the link to your thread. I think I will keep my old Talk-Talk line, number, and broadband until the Virgin system is in and I know it works, which means asking Virgin for a new phone number, not a transfer.

I suppose the pertinent question I should have asked on this forum is, how do you contact someone at Virgin who actually knows what is going on and can do something about it????? Clearly the help-desk don't / can't. I initially tried the online Chat, but that didn't work. It said "We'd like to continue this conversation via WhatsApp" and asked me to input a mobile number. I don't have a smartphone and I couldn't find a way to get past the request for a mobile # so I could continue the online chat via my PC. That is why I had to ring the help-line.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you want the job done to your satisfaction, I would suggest you install the conduit yourself , with suitable pull rope.  Plastic mains water pipe makes for a good conduit btw  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Bill-B wrote:

Hi, thanks for the link to your thread. I think I will keep my old Talk-Talk line, number, and broadband until the Virgin system is in and I know it works, which means asking Virgin for a new phone number, not a transfer.

I suppose the pertinent question I should have asked on this forum is, how do you contact someone at Virgin who actually knows what is going on and can do something about it????? Clearly the help-desk don't / can't. I initially tried the online Chat, but that didn't work. It said "We'd like to continue this conversation via WhatsApp" and asked me to input a mobile number. I don't have a smartphone and I couldn't find a way to get past the request for a mobile # so I could continue the online chat via my PC. That is why I had to ring the help-line.

It is a very pertinent question but alas the answer is, ‘you can’t’ All of this external work is outsourced, and whoever is responsible may well re-outsource it again, there is absolutely nobody working for VM who knows what is happening, who is actually doing the job or when they will turn up!

As you have seen, the way it works is that you get an installation date from VM, in your case 4th July (hint: don’t get your hopes up too much). The pre-installation work is assigned to a contractor who can turn up at any date between then and the install date to do the work - as it is all external, they consider it to not be essential that you are there. VM’s system simply says it is due to be done today (it’s always showing today), and when they don’t get confirmation from the contractors that it has been done, the date simply rolls over to the next day - and so on!

Now you might well think, 'hang on, this is a completely shambolic and dysfunctional system’, I wouldn’t like to comment. But it gets better, there are numerous reported cases of the installation engineer turning up on the day and only then finding out that there is no cable so they clear off, usually saying it all needs to be rescheduled and you’ll get a call later that day (you won’t get a call later that day), and the saga continues. The current record holder has been waiting for 13 months and counting since the first promised installation date - so you do have quite a way to go!

So good luck, the suggestion from @Adduxi to run your own conduit with a draw string exactly where you want it to go is a good one if an all possible. When (if) the installers turn up, they will want to do the job in the quickest and easiest way possible, so lifting stones etc, may be a bit problematic.

So yes, absolutely do not cancel anything with your current provider until the VM install is in an working, they will give you a temporary number first anyway and you can always ask them to port your existing number across later.

John

Hi Bill-B,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear there have been some delays with the pre-install work needed.

I've had a look at things from our side and can see there have been some updates.

So I can go through this with you I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Hi Alex, thanks for your offer of help. In fact the installation team for the external cable and box arrived yesterday, 1 July. However, I took a screenshot of each days promise that they would be there that day between 8am-6pm. I have 11 of those, as I didn't think to take one on 20 June. What is especially annoying is that my "Welcome" email from Virgin said:

"You've asked to have an engineer visit to install your services on:

Tue Jun 21 2022 between 1pm - 6pm

If we can't make this date, we'll contact you to agree an alternative time.

Someone over the age of 18 will need to be at home when we come to install your Virgin Media services. It takes about two hours to get you all set up and ready to go."

So first you told me I had to be in when your fitters called, and second you said if the dates changed you would let me know. So in effect Virgin tied me to my house for 12 days between 8am-6pm.

The other thing that annoyed me was that your call-centre staff issued assurances that they clearly were not in a position to issue.

Whilst you are there I will make the further point that your salesman assured me your (i.e. my) tv package (Ultimate Volt) would include Court TV and TRT World, both of which I currently watch quite a lot on Sky. Looking thru such info as I can find online it doesn't seem you carry either channel, tho I can't be sure as I have not found a definitive channel list on your website. I suspected he was talking nonsense when he volunteered that you carry RT, which has, of course, been blocked in the UK since Russia invaded Ukraine.

Let's hope your actual service is better than your customer service.

Best Regards,

Bill.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Bill,

VM don't carry either of those channels, and TRT World has never been on VM here in the UK.

I'm not sure if it's carried on virginmedia.ie

You can check the VM channels carry using the following link

https://www.virginmedia.com/virgin-tv-edit/tv/virgin-tv-360-channel-guide 

You may be able to watch TRTWorld online https://www.trtworld.com/live 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks very much for the full channel list!

Best Regards,

Bill