cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this fiber connection?

alexwesley1993
On our wavelength

I have just moved into a new property, and am needing broadband as openreach c**ked up the fiber upgrade in my area by installing the correct infrastructure everywhere but where my property is .....

Virgins postcode checker says I'm able.to have virgins gigabit fiber with self installation....but I don't understand how as I don't see any virgin socket points...all I have is this one eurobell box with one coaxial cable coming off it, which says TV and radio on the box, and two phone lines ..which, I know isn't fiber......I would send a photo but for some reason it won't let me as my phone is too high quality and I can't seem to get the quality down....but it is litreally a rectangular box with eurobell written on it in blue, the one coaxial cable connected to it is connected on my left on the box, then on the right, there's two telephone line sockets....the coaxial cable is the kind that you connect then screw on...it has a piece of what looks very much like copper to me....there is litreally nothing else in here that can be a fiber connection or anything for that matter...

I've rang virgin they've tried saying someone last had fiber here back in October...but I don't understand how with a coaxial cable....I'm sure you can't get a gigabit on a coaxial cable.....

6 REPLIES 6

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Thanks for your post

I’ll help with this, I’ll pop over a private message to take some details and we’ll check when the property last had service then see what the best way forward is for you.

Please look at the purple envelope in the top right hand corner.

Many thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alexwesley1993 wrote:

<snip>   e rang virgin they've tried saying someone last had fiber here back in October...but I don't understand how with a coaxial cable....I'm sure you can't get a gigabit on a coaxial cable.....

Yes 1gb on co-ax is how VM work and in fact it can go much higher.

All VM installs are either fibre to the Cabinet and then co-ax from the Cab to the House, or fibre to the house and co-ax cables inside the House.

The confusion is all down to Marketing spin around the word "fibre" ........

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yeah but I've seen what the fiber boxes look like for fiber, and you've got to have a boz that comes in, that has its own power supply etc.....I don't have that...and, also you are wrong as I've just been private messages by virgin employee saying they'd have to come and update all the cables....so these ones are not the correct ones which is as I thought.....thank you though....I will take that onboard...

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@alexwesley1993 wrote:

<snip>. ..and, also you are wrong as I've just been private messages by virgin employee saying they'd have to come and update all the cables....

What am I wrong about? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Update the cables?  You are either in a HFC area so will be coax from the cab to the house OR FTTP in which it will be Fibre Cab to house with ONU on external wall.  These are 2 completely different network structures and are not interchangeable.

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

You are offered the QuickStart self installation if the property was served by cable. In your case it was initially by Eurobell, one of the many cable operators which became part of Virgin Media. If your cable is in good condition, and coaxial cable often lasts for decades, and connected to the cabinet all should be fine. If the installation fails VM will send round a tech to fix the problem at no cost.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection