Menu
eevee99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is student broadband contract 12 months binding?

I just signed up for a student broadband-only deal, which is the M350 Fibre Broadband on a "30 day rolling" contract. When I sent over my debit card details, I was under the impression that you can cancel at any time and pay no Early Disconnection Fee as long as you notify Virgin Media 30 days before you need to leave the service.

I received the contract today which states that it is 12 months. I want clarification on whether I can disconnect after 11 months without paying a fee, as I will no longer be in the country after that time period (I would have graduated by then). I chose this deal because of how it was advertised and I DO NOT want to be scammed by some false marketing campaign.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is student broadband contract 12 months binding?

wait for staff to get to the thread or @BenMcr - they should help

things might have changed but i thought student contracts were/are 9 months to cover the short student year - i [again thought] the 30 day rolling contract was just that - how can it be a 12 month contract

you hae 14 days to cancel i assume even on a 30 day rolling deal so wait for some more input

Tony
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So it does look like the offers this year are slightly different - they can be seen here:

www.virginmedia.com/shop/broadband/students

M350 is available on a rolling 30 day contract, but I'd expect the contract that you're sent to reflect that. If it says 12 months I would be concerned that it is a standard 12 month term contract and subject to EDFs

I would recommend getting it double checked tomorrow before the 14 days cancellation period expires.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
eevee99
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to me. This is what I've been sent: 

Contract copy.png

Do you know how long I have to sign the contract? I've requested the installation to be on 16 September.

Also, I'm not sure how I can check. Virgin Media only takes phone enquiries but the issue is I'm in another country until the 15th. I don't know why it doesn't say rolling basis anywhere on the contract.

0 Kudos
eevee99
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Okay the mods said my image has been rejected, but basically in my contract it says "12 months Broadband Discount (until September 2020)" with no mention of a rolling basis anywhere. Do you know how I can check when I can't call them because I'm overseas, and how long I have to sign the contract?
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

as said above you cannot have a rolling contract on 350 - so it looks as thoght they have ignored your reqeast for a rolling contract - if you asked and put you of 350 as i guess you asked for that 

you can cancel up to 14 days after install but best to get it sorted before then

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@eevee99 @What does the contract period part of the contract say (top right)?

Example:

8F9BF495-AF20-4C86-A802-2BD0FD6E1A02.jpeg

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

eevee99
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for sending this over - this entirely clarifies my own contract. Although it says I have "12 Months Broadband", the minimum period is stated as one month. I've checked all the terms and conditions as well and it seems to prove - or give me sufficient proof, in case I need to take formal action in 10 months' time - that I am on a rolling contract. 

Thanks for helping me double check, it's really alleviated the stress. When handling bills as a broke student you can never be too cautious...

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What the contract says is the £7 discount lasts for 12 months then you pay the full price.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped