cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a UPS recommended for a router

CptBlack
Tuning in

Hi

My router is intermittently rebooting and someone mentioned that virgin routers do not work well with UPS's. 

So wondering if virgin recommend not using a UPS.

I thought as it has surge protection and stops the router from switching off if there's a blip in the power it would be a good idea?

Thanks for any guidance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

For all practical purposes a UPS won't stop any service interruptions unless you've got an unreliable mains supply prone to short outages.  In terms of "not working well with hubs", that's a load of tosh - if the UPS works correctly the hub wouldn't even know it was connected to a UPS.

If you've got a UPS anyway there's no harm in connecting the hub to it, if not don't buy one.  A good quality <1ns surge protector strip is a sensible low cost investment that might save you the inconvenience of a fried hub (and other electronics) from a mains surge, that's about as far as I'd take matters.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

For all practical purposes a UPS won't stop any service interruptions unless you've got an unreliable mains supply prone to short outages.  In terms of "not working well with hubs", that's a load of tosh - if the UPS works correctly the hub wouldn't even know it was connected to a UPS.

If you've got a UPS anyway there's no harm in connecting the hub to it, if not don't buy one.  A good quality <1ns surge protector strip is a sensible low cost investment that might save you the inconvenience of a fried hub (and other electronics) from a mains surge, that's about as far as I'd take matters.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I suspect your router is not actually rebooting, To tell if it is rebooting check the network log for entries dated 01/01/1970, if there are none it's not rebooting. What is probably happening is it's losing connection to the VM CMTS, often it's circuit problem. So go into your hub on 192.168.0.1 (192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) and post your up/downstream stats and network log. We can then take a look and see if there is anything obvious. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

To tell if it is rebooting check the network log for entries dated 01/01/1970, if there are none it's not rebooting. 

Whilst I agree with @Tudor that the hub is far, far more likely to be re-registering with the CMTS rather than rebooting (the light show on the front looks the same), the date error isn't of itself proof of power cycling - all that means is that the hub couldn't collect a valid system date when re-establishing communication with the CMTS.  A few months back there was a period when all hubs seem to be struggling with time and date, and although VM accepted there was an issue they VM never 'fessed up to the cause; At that time I saw multiple date errors in the log when the hub clearly hadn't been rebooted.

The best giveaway on an unplanned reboot is the "system uptime" field that's only visible when logged into the hub, under Admin>Info 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

My super hub work fine with a UPS...does the UPS you use a Pure Sinewave? one I use is Cyberpower CP1500EPFCLCD-UK

---------------------------------------------------------------

Mine's a PowerWalker VI 2200. In the manual it says Simulated sine wave?

I have 2 PC's connected to the UPS and they are fine. Also looking at the GUI interface it looks like there's no errors.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
So if you unplug the power does the hub reboot? if not then it a hub problem.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have been using a UPS for years in my property with no issues.  We have, very occasionally, "brown outs" and the UPS works well to stop these interfering with the IT kit.  It covers the Hub, Router and switches, and it's a APC UPS.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks