cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet radio buffering

MrSums
Tuning in

From looking at post, this seems to be a common problem, but I haven't yet seen a definitive answer.

My internet radio streams are consistently buffering every 20-30 minutes. I originally suspected my Logitech Media Server/Squeezebox set up, but after a lot of investigation, I also tried connecting my Marantz CR-603 direct to internet radio and found exactly the same issue. So I began reviewing posts here and find I am not alone.

I have SuperHub3 with 200+ Mbps connectivity. I also have a TP-Link Deco mesh system. Originally I had the SH in modem mode, but found connectivity issues with the Deco, so as part of my investigations I turned them off and recently turned them back on, but in access point mode - I found the connectivity issue and fixed it (it was a LMS/SB issue), so now no problem with that, but I am still chasing down the buffering issue.

My question is, will going back to modem mode assist with the buffering? I can't find a good answer to that on the forum. Is it the SH3 that causes the issue, or is there a problem with the VM service as a whole?

Thanks for any help

Robert

16 REPLIES 16

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Post your power levels, Pre and PostRS errors and Network log from the Hub.  Also setup a BQM here www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once done we can comment on your circuit.

You could also try splitting the wifi SSID and switch off Smart Optimisation.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Firstly apologies I have SuperHub2ac, not a SH3 so as far as I know the wifi SSIDs are separate and there is no smart optimisation.

The power levels are, from the Network Status page (do let me know if I've captured the wrong thing)

Downstream ChannelsLock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Rx Power RxMER Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

Locked1138750000 Hz256 QAM7.6 dBmV 38.3 dB4603278
Locked2146750000 Hz256 QAM7.7 dBmV 38.6 dB3484320
Locked3154750000 Hz256 QAM7.3 dBmV 38.3 dB1115969
Locked4162750000 Hz256 QAM7.0 dBmV 38.3 dB1372890
Locked5170750000 Hz256 QAM6.8 dBmV 39.0 dB291291
Locked6178750000 Hz256 QAM6.7 dBmV 39.0 dB291276
Locked7186750000 Hz256 QAM6.6 dBmV 39.0 dB987987
Locked8194750000 Hz256 QAM6.3 dBmV 38.6 dB961961

Upstream ChannelsLock Status Channel ID Frequency Modulation Tx Power Mode Channel Bandwidth Symbol Rate

Locked160300000 HzATDMA44.8 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked439400000 HzATDMA44.0 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked346200000 HzATDMA44.8 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec
Locked253700000 HzATDMA45.0 dBmV64QAM6400000 Hz5120 Ksym/sec

I've set up a BQM. Do I need to ensure the Internet Radio is playing?

Cheers

Robert

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Stats look ok for a SH2. Lets see the BQM link asap. Leave everything connected as is for the time being until we can see the BQM after a couple of hours. If there are issues then you can disconnect devices etc one by one to see if that "cleans it up".

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Just had a quick look at the BQM and it is simply showing 100% packet loss. I've double checked the IP address and also used the traceroute tool on the BQM site.

Looking at the firewall, the following settings are made (don't know where ICMP requests are checked)

Screenshot from 2021-11-26 17-02-17.png

Cheers

Robert

OK, found it under tools/ping. Have now checked the box, so will hopefully get some data

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you now in modem mode with the Deco doing the routing? If so then the ICMP ping setting will be in the Deco's settings. Although I recall there being a firmware glitch issue on some Deco's that meant you couldn't change it - that may have been rectifed by now.

If its not doing the routing, why not? Its will be a quantum leap better than that of the Hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

1. Yes still in router mode at present - I made too many changes at once originally, and am just moving back step by step. I think the last one we are going through is whether it is the line signal or the router that is the problem.

2. Here is the output from BQM overnight - can you let me know what you think?

Screenshot_20211127-071010.jpg

3. Also, if you see the picture from the firewall, I noted that "Multicast Pass-Through" was not checked and looking at what it is, I thought it probably should be - seems to have done the trick as no drop-outs in the first 2 hours this morning.

Grateful for clarification here, before I take another step to revert to modem mode

Cheers

Robert

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can't see the picture yet for the BQM as they need to be approved.

As for any changes on the SH2ac, these will all be irrelevant when you go to Modem mode, as the Deco will be doing all the Routing, Firewall etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Your BQM was rejected as you left the i.p. address visible. I can see it though and its odd with a strange sawtooth pattern. This may be because of the changes you made in the Hub or because of what else you have connected on ethernet cables (logitech squeezebox ?). Disconnect them all and see what happens on the BQM (run it an hour or two). If it "cleans up" the sawtooth effect - then plug things back in one by one until the sawtooth reappears - and therein is where the issue lays.

What Deco model/system do you have ?

--------------------
John
--------------------