cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet keeps dropping out

gazzaman28
Tuning in

Hi all, I've been having issues for the last few weeks with my internet dropping off maybe 7 or 8 times during my working day for maybe a minute or 2 at a time. I work from home using a VOIP phone system so this is mega annoying! I've rebooted the router several times but it doesn't seem to make any real difference.

I've just today started looking at the logs on the router & the down/upstream channels (not enough space in the message body so I'll post some of it in a reply message.) Can anyone see any obvious issues going on here and how should I go about getting them resolved?

23/10/2021 10:22:40criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:20:33Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:20:33criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:19:03Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:19:03criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:18:35Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 17:18:35criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 15:58:48Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 15:58:48criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:15:38Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:15:38criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:15:11Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:15:11criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:14:58Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:14:58criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:14:50Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:14:50criticalSYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
22/10/2021 14:00:17Warning!RCS Partial Service;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

Thanks in advance for your help.

29 REPLIES 29

Hi @gazzaman28

Thanks for your message - it'll be an engineer visit

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

An engineer came out yesterday evening and fitted a booster on the cable. To be honest my connection seems worse than ever, I've had quite a few losses of internet today, (my BQM shows 8 since 8AM!)

To be fair, the engineer did say it might not work, and that the next stage would be to replace the hub. I've messaged John_GS asking him to get me some more assistance, anyway.

Thanks gazzaman28

Thanks for the reply 

We know @John_GS is able to get this looked at for you 

Gareth_L

Just an update. I had the router replaced on Friday but am still getting dropouts. On Saturday a neighborhood chat (FB messenger) revealed that a few other Virgin customers also have similar issues. The engineer from Friday has been excellent at keeping in touch and there is now an investigation ticket for noise on the line affecting several customers in our street.

Hi gazzaman28

Apologies, everyone of the downstream channels are out of spec.

This does mean another tech but I'll ensure it's a senior one that attends. 

I'll PM you now the time and date etc.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Thanks for joining me in PM @gazzaman28

Just to update the thread, the tech visit was booked in. Can be tracked in the online account

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi gazzaman28

There's no area issues showing so it would need a tech to your address. 

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Hi Gary. Please don't PM unless asked to do so.

There was no area issue when checking.

However do let us know how the visit goes.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

I'll be honest, i'm pretty disappointed with the service so far. All the engineers have been nice guys but none of them have had any idea what the previous engineer has done already. The second guy who came on Friday 29/10 said that he would get it escalated as a network issue rather than a fault with the cabling to my house, especially when I spoke to him the next day on the phone and explained that at least 3 of my neighbours were getting similar issues.

But then the third guy who came yesterday (Thursday 04/11) didn't have any awareness of that, he was still expecting it to be a local issue to my property, but was then jumped on my other neighbours when he opened the street cabinet! He's again told me that he's reporting it as a network issue, but I don't have any visibility of this, so how do I know what the status is? He even said "you should start to see an improvement once they've looked at it", but unless someone contacts me, how do I know anything has been done and actually escalate things? My connection yesterday was utterly utterly horrendous, look at this screenshot of BQM, especially during my working hours, it looks like my internet was down more than it was up!!

Screenshot_20211105-091053.png

Can one of the Virgin Media engineers on here please confirm that there is actually an active network job logged for the cabinet on Longcrags View? And can you give me some sort of ETA for when I'll hear from or see an engineer about getting it fixed?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi Gary,

Sorry but the latest BQM you sent was rejected as it included your IP address.

Glancing at your previous post on this  thread you have a live BQM set up so I've included the link to it below to help forum staff see the current status.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/ 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali