Menu
stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Internet connection issues

Please go easy on me as I'm not very tech savy. But my WiFi seems to be down a lot more than it is working these days. The first month in my house the WiFi never dropped out once. But now into my second month and I'm having nothing but issues with it. I'm having to switch on/off by the wall or do a reset almost everyday recently. Sometimes twice a day. But today I've tried absolutely EVERYTHING which is recommended and I still don't have WiFi. This is the longest it's been down. Virgin says the status checker is all okay in my area, even after doing their run test kit nothing works? Can someone please help me 😞 

I've tried to message Virgin direct on chat but my last 3 messages to them have all been read without a response. Rude.

I'm really not impressed with the service I'm receiving. Are you allowed to cancel your contract early if you are not receiving the services you are paying for? If the issues with the Internet weren't bad enough, the rudeness and poor customer service has just ruined it for me.

Hoping someone in the community can help me and stop me from going insane haha

0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Internet connection issues

You can only easily cancel without penalty within the first fourteen days.  If the service is slow or unreliable you could probably leave without penalty, but only after formally complaining to VM asking them for that, giving them up to eight weeks to respond, and probably then still having to escalate the complaint to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, which is all going to be very, very slow.

At the moment, better to look for resolvable issues in your connection.  As a start, it's probably your broadband that's faulty, not the wifi.  Wifi is the wireless network between the hub and your devices, and the symptoms you describe are more likely with the broadband, which is from the hub to VM's network gear.  You might be thinking "why do I have to diagnose faults in VM's service?", and the short answer is that VM's customer service is very poor.  Most faults get fixed, but the customer experience is very poor indeed.  If you phone up customer support and say "my wifi's not working" they will tell you that its your problem, and that a restart will fix it - or anything they can think of to get you off the phone.  You did read customer reviews of Virgin Media on Trustpilot or elsewhere before signing up?

Next steps are for you to connect to your hub.  Right click on this link.  Select "open in new tab", that will bring you to the hub's interface.  If it hasn't already been done, you'll be asked to choose a language and log in using the 8 digit numeric password on the bottom of the hub.  If you have to do that, log out again, and select the link again, but don't log in.  You'll see a link below the password box that says "Check router status", click on that.  A window will open with five tabs, each fill of techno-babble.  Can you put up here in three replies the contents of the tabs that are titled Downstream, Upstream, and Network log?  To do this select the text, copy and paste as formatted text (NOT screen shots).  Some of these replies will generate an "invalid HTML error message" - ignore that and press the "post" button a second time.  That's where the forum software is obscuring any personal data for you.

When that's been posted, somebody can take a look and comment on any identifiable faults, if we know what those are it's easy enough for the forum staff to get a technician arranged, or advise on any next steps. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your reply. Still no Internet connection this morning 😞 

I have followed your instructions and will post my findings in a separate reply now for you. Hopefully this can be fixed as I need my internet to work from home

0 Kudos
stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID

1474250000-1.738256 qam9

Downstream bonded channels

Channel Locked Status RxMER (dB) Pre RS Errors Post RS Errors

1Locked38.900
0 Kudos
stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) Symbol Rate (ksps) Modulation Channel ID

1394000005.7512064 qam6

Upstream bonded channels

Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts

1ATDMA0000
0 Kudos
stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Network LogTime Priority Description
16/08/2020 09:51:24criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:51:24ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:51:24criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:51:24criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:51:7criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:50:39criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:50:39ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:50:39criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:50:39criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:50:22criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:49:53criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:49:53ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:49:53criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:49:53criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:49:5criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:48:33criticalREG RSP not received;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:48:33ErrorT6 Timeout and retries exceeded;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:48:33criticalRegistration RSP rejected unspecified reason;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:48:33criticalRegistration RSP rejected message syntax error;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
16/08/2020 09:48:16criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
0 Kudos
Andruser
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yep, that's a right compost heap of a broadband connection.  You've only got one downstream channel (should be 24) and one upstream (should be 4), the upstream power level is too high, and the Network log is full of errors.  I've flagged this for the forum staff to advise on next steps - probably needs a technician visit to iron the problem out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

stephaniejaynep
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Ahhh thank you so much for your response. At least I know I'm not going crazy haha! It's weird because the first month I moved in, I didn't have any issues and was saying how good virgin media was. Because my friend said his virgin was rubbish. Then low and behold, my second month in and I have nothing but issues. Will someone contact me via this board about a technical coming out?

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You can contact VM to report your problem using ...

Text service on 07533051809

150 from Virgin landline.

0345 454 1111 from any other UK  phone.

The best time to call is weekdays 08:00 to get a UK agent, anything after 10:00 you must realise that you are quite likely to get through to an offshore agent that doesn't speak English as a first language.

Or you can wait on here for one of the VM Staff to pick up the thread but this may take a few days.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
Tom_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi stephaniejaynep. Thanks for getting in touch.

Sorry about the problems you're having with your connection. 
As already advised above - when checking things from here I also can see that there are some issues that will require the attention of an engineer so I have booked you in with the next available appointment.  You will find the appointment time slot via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and it can also be rescheduled or cancelled from there if needed.

If there's anything else please give us another shout.

Tom