cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet access denied after package change today

Cutters1982
On our wavelength

Hi, I adjusted my packages today via live chat on WhatsApp and now my internet shows as "access denied" on my hub, the guy didn't even warn me that it would go offline, I then had to go out, I came back home and it's still offline with access denied. I've tried getting technical support but the offices are now closed!

I have to work tomorrow at 8am and now have no internet. I don't know what the person did when adjusting my packages but the broadband won't work.

Is my Mac address somehow blocked at Virgin media end? My bill isn't due until 12 April so it's not that.

I've powered off the hub 3 times all with the cable unplugged and it's made no difference. I don't have a pin to hand to do a hard reset on the hub

I'm really frustrated, please help, I need my broadband working again.

What time do the tech support desk open tomorrow? Before 8am I hope!

I hope someone can help meanwhile

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

jem101
Superstar

I believe that they open at 8, so you may be a bit late in starting work!

Normally when you do a speed change, a new provisioning file is pushed to your hub telling it what speed it is to work at, the hub does need to reboot but the downtime is of the order of 15 minutes or so - usually a lot less.

What seems to have happened in your case is that this has all gone horribly wrong and your hub has been de-provisioned entirely, whether that is a bug in the system or the customer services agent making a mistake, we can't tell, but it absolutely will need VM to fix it - luckily this isn't something that needs an technician visit, just your account being sorted out properly.

Thanks for replying, so I'll have to ring at 8am ? Yes it sounds like the hub is being refused access, looks to me like the agent did it wrong because it has been stable for ages until I spoke to the agent to adjust my packages.

Very frustrating that the website was having maintenance earlier today.

I've just lost my father to cancer and could've done without this extra stress 😞

For reasons unknown it's just come back on by itself about 40 minutes ago, I didnt even do anything, really dont know why it was down for so long, maybe the functionality to reactivate the MAC address didnt work because of the maintenance? Rather frustrating but at least it's back.

Thank you anyway

I spoke too soon, it's now down again with the superhub saying "registration failed" in the internet section.

I'll have to ring support after all

Hi @Cutters1982
Welcome back to the community!
Sorry to hear you're having issues with your connection dropping. I have taken a look at our systems and can see there is a power level issue on your upstream. When this happens, your router tries to auto correct the levels, too much of this causes the router to self reboot. We'll need an engineer to come out to resolve this for you. Please join me on private message so we can locate your account and book in the earliest technician visit. You can see your private messages at the top corner of the page in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi there

Thanks for replying, to be honest, since the connection came back on its been okay, and I'm getting expected speeds on the upload and download (via speedtest.net).

I'm convinced that for whatever reason the VM system didnt like my mac address after the person I spoke to made the changes to my account, so it sat there for hours blocking internet access, the "access denied" for example.

My connection seems to have been up for over 2 days now without any drops, so I think that it's okay

Are you still seeing upstream errors?

Cheers for replying, going to hold off with the engineer for now, will post here again if the connection gets wobbly.

Hi Cutters1982, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

We're glad things have improved for you. Checking the levels at this end, they are still high for all 4 of your upstream channels. Not quite high enough to cause a total loss of service but you may see issues going forward. 

It's up to you whether you want to book an engineer in now or whether you want to wait until you start having issues before doing this. 

Keep us posted on how you want to proceed. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Oh okay, if they are still showing as high then I ought to get it looked into, I'll check the PM and respond soon 🙂

Cheers!