Menu
justjoan2312
Tuning in
Message 1 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent rapid on/off connection, mostly in evenings

We thought our previous problems had been solved but momentarily losing connection started again just not as frequently. I didn't post this earlier as we were going away. We're back now and all 3 mobile phones (Samsung Galaxy S7s) keep losing connection, including the phone that didn't go on holiday. The iPad is ok. So now it's not just the computer hardwired to the router it's the wifi that's being affescted as well. Many thanx for any help.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Intermittent rapid on/off connection, mostly in evenings

See this thread on another forum
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Wifi-connection-on-samsung-s7/td-p/3943474

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
justjoan2312
Tuning in
Message 3 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Not sure how to respond as your tip doesn't address the basic internet connection problem. I think I need to get that sorted first and then see if that solves the wifi problem. Last time I was on the forum I was asked to send in power logs, don't remember how to find them, and then an engineer came but the problem was only solved for a short time.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi justjoan2312,

Thanks for your post.

Have you contacted our call centre in regards to this issue? 

If this is due to issues in the evening it could possibly be a case of high utilisation in the local area, have you previous explored this issue? 

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 29
Flag for a moderator

@David_Bn i am confused - is that the limit of the help here

there are threads detailing Samsung problems - you make no mention of those - you ask for no other details about the connection - have you tested it - i assume not otherwise you would say

why would the OP want to contact the call centres and how do you get from the original info to possible high utilisation

off to find my chocolate teapot thats more useful

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi -tony-

I don't have access to accounts on the forum and therefore am not able to run tests.

If justjoan2312 were to call in, we could confirm if high utilisation was a problem, if not we could see if the hub is in full working order, if there's no issue there then we may start looking closer at the phones.

Although, reading the post I'm not 100% if there is an issue with the computer when using the Wi-Fi facility also. The wording of it doesn't make it quite so clear.

As the customer states this is an issue mainly in the evenings this leads me down the route of possible high utilisation. 

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 29
Flag for a moderator

if justjoan2312 wanted to call in it would of happened already. Some people like to use online methods and dislike calling in.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 29
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@justjoan2312 wrote:

Not sure how to respond as your tip doesn't address the basic internet connection problem. I think I need to get that sorted first and then see if that solves the wifi problem. Last time I was on the forum I was asked to send in power logs, don't remember how to find them, and then an engineer came but the problem was only solved for a short time.

just looked at your old thread and the levels were awful - lets check they are still ok

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labeled - upstream - downstream

not sure why VM have not suggested that - they seem to want to keep things secret by you calling in or using chat

maybe the new people dont know what the levels should be

Tony
justjoan2312
Tuning in
Message 9 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Many thanx Tony,

Just to clarify: 1. The connection problem is the same all the time and no longer worse in the evening. Is Virgin Media really saying they can't cope?

2. We've had Samsung phones for years and never had this problem before. If it's not down to the connection we need a Samsung expert to say it's due to a change in the last update.

3. We've had problems since we moved here, 10 yrs ish, if I phone the call centre it's a painful experience trying to interpret the accent, my friend who comes from the same part of the planet says they never get help with pronounciation, they arrange for a new router that works for a while then the same thing starts again. By using the forum before a problem with the power levels was found so perhaps there's more to that problem.

4. Logs following: no they're not I'm trying to post, keeps saying correct highlighted areas but there aren't any, it probably means anything that can identify me but I can't see what. Does it mean Mac addresses?

Joan

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 29
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joan, can you post the logs for us?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos