Menu
Highlighted
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Reboot & Disconnect + poor SNR, help ?

SNR seems much too low, although online status report shows "no issue in your area" - and online remote testing reports randomly either "your hub seems disconnected" (although I was actually using the virgin connection, it was up for once...) or "no fault found" --- Virgin Online Help at its usual best being utterly useless...

My Hub3.0 was replaced 2 weeks ago with a new one: when the continuous disconnections started, the very friendly helpline technician in mumbai ordered me the new material as a last resort, having run several tests and wasted well over an hour of our times with the proverbial reboots, resets etc... And no surprise: the brand New Hub did nothing to correct any of the issues, disconnections are still going on regularly. Picture 1.pngDownstream SNR (1)Picture 2.pngDownstream (2)Picture 3.pngUpstreamPicture 4.pngNetwork Log (1)Picture 5.pngNetwork Log (2)

I am posting current connection details in the hope someone may manage to diagnose the issue in lieu of Virgin.

Thanks in avance. The constantly appalling customer service made our patience run extremely thin...

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Reboot & Disconnect + poor SNR, help ?

A superuser should comment soon, but that is one poor set of stats! You will at the very least need a VM Technician to visit and sort it out. All your down powers are way way below recommended minimum (-6dBmV) and the SNR are all way to low (<34) - indicating noise. 1 upstream channel on 16qam is poor lots of errors too.
You could wait on here but I would call it in as a fault asap and explain the problem and cite the Hub data they will be able to see it too when they connect to your Hub. They will arrange a visit asap.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

One would hope Virgin Teams are trolling their own support community and aim to react/help... Not sure calling Mumbai again and spending one hour in useless tests and "security checks" will make my day any better... VIRGIN, anyone LISTENING OUT THERE ???

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Why do you assume its Mumbai - did you ask ? VM have CC's in several countries, Uk, Europe, Indonesia, India,...
VM staff are on here but they go through posts in chronological order - oldest first. So you will have to wait for them to respond.. usually within a week. Waiting is fine calling is quicker. Also on here, they have not been too proactive at organising tech visits recently - but for you its blindingly obvious.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi, docgyneco

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. If a technician is needed, you'll need to call the team on 151//03454541111 and they'll help further

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

Hi, docgyneco

Sorry to hear of the broadband issues. If a technician is needed, you'll need to call the team on 151//03454541111 and they'll help further

Told you so docgyneco !!  Smiley Happy

Try this - call “Retentions” on 150 or 0345 454 1111 - options  - 1-1-4-5 - "Thinking of leaving" - they are open Monday – Friday, 8am - 8pm and on Saturday from 8am - 6pm (might also be on Sunday too?) . Calling early is best and you will usually get a UK call centre who are usually more helpful - just say you are thinking of cancelling unless this can be fixed and they should sort you out.

--------------------
0 Kudos
docgyneco
Tuning in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I did ask indeed. Best way to get information in my book... (cf. this forum btw). Thank you anyhow.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

Hi, docgyneco

Kind regards,

Referring a poster to the awful First Line Support team ( a route already tried with no success) is IMHO very poor advise, would never have happened with the old Swansea Forum Team, who had the tools to check the connection and arrange a Tech if needed, which in this case the stats are screaming out for.

docgyneco,

It would be worth checking the coax cable for obvious signs of damage and all connectors are hand tight.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Griffin's advice to check the tightness of the connections is a sensible one.

I'd just like to comment that I don't think I've seen SNR's that low since I was having a problem on my own downstream.  I've never seen power levels that low 😞@griffin could the low SNR be a knock on effect of the low power levels? ).

Certainly the Forum Team or 1st line support should have booked a tech without question.  Although the techs main purpose would be to check the connections between you and the street cab, anything he can't deal with directly normally has to be escalated once he's tried everything he can.

Tim

P.S.  @docgyneco this is a community support forum, first responders are often other users such as myself or jbrennand  If you look just under our names you'll see our Forum Rank.  The Virgin staff have the rank:

Forum Team - deals with issues
Forum Moderator - maintains the forum.

Jbrennand's advice re-calling in is something that we'd advise in order to cut down on time waiting for the Forum Team, especially in clear cut cases like this.

@ModTeam - Maybe I'm out of order here, but it seems to me that this needs looking into to find out whether there could be lessons learned by all.

Certainly I wouldn't expect 1st line support to spend an hour troubleshooting this?  Did they not look at the connection stats?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Yes, IMHO the low SNR could possibly be a knock on affect of the low power levels depending on type\source of the noise, but there is no evidence of that in the stats.
The way I understand it (I think! I maybe wrong) SNR is the difference between the signal level and the noise levels, so if the noise floor remains at a constant level, like possibly impulse noise the SNR will fluctuate with the signal level, but if the noise is inherent in the cable it could be amplified when with the signal level is increased, which would have little affect on the SNR.

SNR is one of those things that looks simple, but it is quite complex when you delve into it more deeply, and I profess not to understand it fully (yet)

Your question did prompt me to revisit the stats and on a more detailed examination look strange

The MAC Domain looks like it contains two downstream bonding groups, but 10 + 7 channels is very strange, you would expect 12 + 8 or 16 + 8

The channel at 250.75 MHz is missing.

EDIT Not sure how the Hub reports the stats but the missing channels could be because the Hub is in partial service mode.

Obviously the one upstream at max transmit just adds to the conclusion that the connection is completely borked.

0 Kudos