Menu
evil-nine
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Intermittent Connection - Extremely Bad Customer Service!

I have been experiencing constant broadband drop offs and very slow speeds over the past few days.  To make it worse, I have had terrible customer service from your "Support Centre".

My subscription is for 200MB broadband and I have a Super Hub 3.  My first call to your call centre was with a very disinterested and hard to communicate with lady who simply asked me to turn my SuperHub off and on.  The second call to the call centre was slightly better and resulted in an engineer being sent to my property.  Both occasions I was told there is nothing wrong with my connection and they cannot see a problem.

The engineer verified there were no issues with my cables or Hub.  He replaced the Super Hub and the connection was restored.  However restarting the original router would also temporarily fix the issue.  It wasn't long before my connection was dropping again.

Then it was time for calls 3 and 4 to the "Support Centre" where I was again told there was no problem and told to restart the Hub. Apparently another engineer was booked to come to my property tomorrow.  

This evening I spent some time adding a rather expensive router, as I had read elsewhere that this may fix the problem however it took only 20 minutes to lose the connection again.  Call number 5 to the support centre and I end up discovering that the engineer that had been booked for tomorrow had been cancelled for some unknown reason.  

I had rearranged my work and family in order to be available for the engineer, so I am rather losing my patience by this point. 

I insist on speaking to someone senior, which I eventually do after protests that no-one was available.  This time I am told by the "manager of the technical team" that they cannot see any problems, they have no way of checking and they have no insight into the status of the Virgin network.  He gave his name as "Joseph" but no surname or other contact for me to lodge a complaint - then hung up on me.

Your Indian call centre has always been bad and has only become worse.  It is now impossible to speak to anyone in the UK or anyone with any technical expertise, with any information or that are able to do anything but waste your customers time.

By checking my Hub logs I can see that there are multiple errors relating to Lost MDD Timeout and RCS Partial Service, like many other customers reporting problems.  This appears to be a regularly reported error with your broadband service but no resolution is offered to customers.

I will now be waiting to see if an engineer actually shows up tomorrow, although I have little hope.
Some advice if I may to Virgin (although I know there is no care for customers at all):

1. Get rid of the overseas call centres
2. Give some level of technical training (to at least check the Hub logs to troubleshoot properly)
3. Improve your knowledge sharing and alerts
4. Get rid of your overseas call centres!

0 Kudos
evil-nine
Joining in
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Intermittent Connection - Extremely Bad Customer Service!

virgin 1.JPGvirgin 2.JPGvirgin 3.JPGvirgin 4.JPGvirgin 5.JPGvirgin 6.JPG

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

yeaaahhhhh that looks- well awful.

You've one upstream which is well over maxxed out which will be causing  your dropouts, and downstream FECS is causing the slowdowns. Best guess you need an engineer STAT.

@ModTeam 

Can you get a look your side- if its an area fault, give us a fix date, if not book an engineer?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

evil-nine
Joining in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I assumed it would be pretty obvious to someone with some technical knowledge. Why is the call centre not able to give a response like this? I’m not even sure if you are a Virgin employee or just someone helpful!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi evil-nine,

We are very sorry to hear about the issues you have faced and your whole customer journey surrounding it.  We would certainly like to amend the situation for you, we will require having a chat via Private message so we can have a look into your account. I will follow up straight away.

Many thanks,

Louis

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

also not mentioned - your downstream levels are too low -6 is the minimum and you have problems with some channels with that many pro rs errors

as to offshore help - not much to say other than they are awful - hopefully the tech turns up and sorts it

Tony
0 Kudos
evil-nine
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses.  I have replied to the PM and waiting for a call.  I also noticed a Virgin engineer outside my house this morning at 9am.  Apparently he was checking the cabinet but not scheduled to come back to visit me until this afternoon.  No problems so far this morning but I cannot think that it has magically fixed itself.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I think to be perfectly fair and honest, VMs offshore call centre staff are certainly not technical and just read through a prepared script - and that's actually OK since the vast majority of user's issues can be solved with a simple reboot or change wifi channel etc. The old cliched 'can you turn it off and on again' response actually has a lot of merit!

What's far less excusable is for an engineer to turn up and just swop the hub over and apparently not check the signal levels (unless by some miracle they happened to be OK on that day - unlikely though). Even a quick glance down them shows the downstream power levels are way too low, the S/N ratio on some of them are also far to low (hence the large number of Pre and Post RS errors), your upsteam has collapsed down to just one channel and the power levels on that one are way over the maximum - you really can't miss that something is catastrophically wrong.

Hopefully though, you'll get someone one soon who can fix it - you can always make a note of the hub status and when the engineer turns up you can show it to them and just say something like 'I'm really not trying to tell you your job but I've got these stats from the box and I know they are completely way out...'

0 Kudos
evil-nine
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.  So from what you can see the problem lies outside of my property correct?  Possibly at the cabinet?  Is it not possible to check this remotely?

It would certainly save a lot of time, money and effort if the original contact had spotted this and made the adjustments remotely.

0 Kudos
evil-nine
Joining in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Second engineer has now been.  He actually checked the signal from the cab to the junction box (good signal).  Then the signal that on the cable that runs from the junction box over my property to the modem (bad signal). 

So I now have to wait another TWO WEEKS for another couple of engineers can come and check that cable.  

0 Kudos