Menu
c_m
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Installation

Hi, I've moved into a flat which was previously used as an air bnb. See the previous set up in the screenshot below. I tried taking out the red ended cable and replacing it with the red cable which came with my hub but I am not getting connected to the internet. I'm not sure what the cable coming out of the wall socket and back into the wall socket is for. I think I may need an engineer to come out and have a look but just want to check in case I'm doing something wrong before I do.

ThanksPrevious set up.jpegprevious setup

0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation

Don’t know what the yellow/orange box is, does it have any marking (possibly underneath)? Especially ones on where the cables re connected.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
spikey673
Superfast
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Never seen a setup like that before, I assume it’s to somehow restrict the service, like in hotel rooms.

Anyway, a standard installation is just the rectangle white box, with the 2 cables coming out underneath, un screw both of them, then screw your new cable into one at a time and see which one, if any, work (they should, unless they’ve been disconnected somewhere)

And don’t forget to register your hub.

IF i have helped you, please give me kudos / mark me as helpful, thanks
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

looks like someone may of disconnected the cable and used it as a way to send a coax signal (possible TV to another room that had vm in the past. The yellow box connected is not a VM box

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Unscrew the cover from the VM socket and take a photo.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How have you connected the Hub?

From your photo it looks you have connected the coax feed to the mystery box then to the TV. (Any manufacturer's marking on the orange box?)
The single feed from the VM box should be connected to a splitter with the isolator cable, one leg feeding the Hub and the other leg the TV

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The loop of cable in the outlet is one of the new inline isolators (a short cable with connectors either end). The orange box may be hiding an HDU, although the cabling going to the TV does not look VM standard so it may have been an unauthorised DIY extension of the cable to use TV at a different location to what was originally installed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
c_m
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Heres the wall socket with the cover screwed off. There's also setup in the hallway of the flats with the virgin media router that must've been used for the air BnB wifi. I can send pictures of it too.IMG_5508.JPG

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Yes, let's see the other photos.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
c_m
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

hallway setupIMG_5497.JPGIMG_5499.JPGIMG_5504.JPGThere's 5 other flats in the building. This setup is in a cupboard in the hallway as you walk into the building.

0 Kudos