cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation

Davemarsden132
Joining in

Hi,

I live on a new build estate currently serviced by BT, i am wanting virgin you serve the houses at the end of the street but not mine. From the end to my house is 95% grass. 

Is there any way to get virgin installed to my home? I am willing to pay installation fee even if its £1000. I really want virgin and hate BT! 

Is it possible for someone to come out and assess if it is possible to install virgin? 

I imagine most of my estate would use virgin tv and internet also as i have spoke to them all and they would much prefer that to what we have now as BT is expensive. There is approx 100 houses on the estate. 

14 REPLIES 14

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there

Thank you for your post.

I'll send over a private message to take your address and see if this is possible.

Thanks

Christy 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Davemarsden132, 

Thanks for your post and for your interest in wanting to get Virgin Media installed. 

On New Builds it can prove quite difficult as unless we had an agreement with the developers before hand, there will be a time period where the roads cannot be dug up. This is usually around 5 years from the date the builds were done. 

I can see Christy popped a message over to you on Tuesday. Have you been able to get a definitive answer?

If not, pop back here to let us know and we can go from there. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Montieous
Joining in

I am in the same boat, except the new build estate is not so new, was built back in 2003. Broadband wasn't big on the agenda back then so BT just decided to connect all the houses to the furthest possible green box they could find when they really should have installed a new one on the estate.

To rub extra salt in the wound a friend who lives a few minutes away just had BT FTTP enabled in their area, 900+ Mbps internet whilst I struggle to get a reliable 18Mbps on a good day.

I've tried calling Virgin and filling in their online form with a generic "We'll call you back" or just no response at all, so I'm interested in hearing if you make any progress.

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Montieous 

Thanks for your post 

Do you know if there is Virgin Media on any other street near your address?

If you can share just your postcode we can take a look for you on our database.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Hi Christy,

Yes, Virgin Media broadband is available on the same road where it originally ended. Another 30-40 houses were built, same road name and same postcode.

Highfield Close, SK3 8UB

Christy_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Please can you private message me the full address and i'll take a look for you

Thanks

Christy

Hi,

So i replied to the PM but had nothing since. There is a way to my house without digging any of the estate up. If you think of a square, i am on the edge of that square and from the road to my house is council grass / field. Meaning could take the wire round and not actually go on the estate.

I had this at an old house i had and was told no, not possible etc etc. Someone then eventually came out to see me and the guy then said it is possible and i got virgin.

Is there any possibility maybe you could send someone out to see me about installing? 

Cheers

Hi Davemarsden132,

Thanks for getting back to us! Please give @Christy_D some more time to respond, I'm sure that they will be in touch soon.

Kind regards,

Laurie

Laurie_C
Forum Team

@Davemarsden132 wrote:

Hi,

So i replied to the PM but had nothing since. There is a way to my house without digging any of the estate up. If you think of a square, i am on the edge of that square and from the road to my house is council grass / field. Meaning could take the wire round and not actually go on the estate.

I had this at an old house i had and was told no, not possible etc etc. Someone then eventually came out to see me and the guy then said it is possible and i got virgin.

Is there any possibility maybe you could send someone out to see me about installing? 

Cheers

@Davemarsden132 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

@Davemarsden132 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

@Davemarsden132 wrote:

Hi,

Cheers

Virgin will not put a length of cable across open public land because of the possibility of some "helpful" person cutting it.