Menu
usisone
Joining in
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Installation to pre-wired house

Quick question from a total tech novice. I am moving into a new house that has a number of rooms pre-wired for internet (BT line/broadband) and TV (freeview). I would like to get fibre and cable from Virgin, but only if I can connect to existing connections (as I want to minimise new cables/wall boxes). Can you tell me if I can connect Virgin Media through the existing cabling?

I have added some pics of the set up below.

BBDA76E1-B13C-4304-8FAD-B3F501DDF1C2.jpeg

567E6304-1A87-4779-B10D-4258C561322A.jpeg

BDCB0AEF-4F04-42A7-8759-41108B7A0AC9.jpeg

8BAA0B45-2FE6-4F25-B559-D15BEAADCACA.jpeg

0 Kudos
usisone
Joining in
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation to pre-wired house

7E42A61B-4EC7-4578-97B6-7BED4A6CB1A2.jpeg

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked that VM provides service to your house?

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
usisone
Joining in
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Yes - there is fibre on the street and I have confirmed that they service the house. My question is really whether I can get them to install the line into the IT hub with the TP Link Gigabit Switch and the Labgear splitter and whether that would then allow me to connect TV boxes, or WiFi modems to the pre-existing output points wired into the rooms?

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

The installation is to the front (or sometimes side) of the house with the socket on the inside. A coax cable from the socket connects to your VM hub and that's the installation done by VM.  What you then need to do is the run an Ethernet cable to your router or switch. If you change ISP you just swap the hub for the new ISP's device.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Wise owl
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi in order to get virgin you will need to have thier coxial cable which only they supply & install, and as Roger says that's if they service your location.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
usisone
Joining in
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both.

Let me be a little clearer with my question. I understand that Virgin Media need to take a line in from the street to the property. I would like them to take the line straight into the cupboard that houses all of the IT kit (it backs onto an external wall at the side of the house towards the rear).

Question 1 - Can they accommodate this? I don’t want it coming into the front room (i.e. shortest route from the street to the house) when I would then need to run a line internally through the house to the switch, which would then distribute around the house.

Question 2 - if they can run the line from the road straight into the cupboard, is the equipment pictured suitable for distributing the signals to the various rooms?

Question 3: Would I need to connect the Virgin Media Hub 3 to the line in the cupboard or could I connect the hub to one of the outlets in the rooms? (Sorry if that’s a silly question - I’m not tech savvy)

Question 4 - If the Virgin Media Hub 3 needs to be in the cupboard where the line enters the house, would I also need to connect the Virgin TV box to the Hub in the cupboard or could that be connected to the outlets in the rooms (pictured in first post)

Question 5 - If the TV Box needs to go in the cupboard with the Hub, can the remote control the TV over WiFi in the house, so that you could control the boxes from rooms that don’t contain the TV box?

I tried to get a pre-instal engineer to the house last weekend but he didn’t arrive (which was pretty frustrating after waiting around for the entire morning).

Thanks again

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It looks like you have two incoming ISP connections being split into 12 individual connections, by the 6 way splitter.
Are you in a block of flats?

This is not a single dwelling installation, so whatever ISP it is connected to will have to be the same for all connections. If  BT or another ISP VM will have to install their own cable to your property.

It would be interesting to know what the blue ethernet cable from the 16 port switch is connected to.

0 Kudos
usisone
Joining in
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

It’s a house rather than a block of flats (albeit maybe an over-spec’d house - it has tv outputs in all the bedrooms) and I’m not a fan of TV in bed....

I thought the 6 way splitter is fed by 2 co-axial cables which are running from an aerial on the roof and was wondering whether I could just switch the connection to a Virgin Media box.

0 Kudos
Gary333
Dialled in
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@griffin wrote:

It looks like you have two incoming ISP connections being split into 12 individual connections, by the 6 way splitter.
Are you in a block of flats?

This is not a single dwelling installation, so whatever ISP it is connected to will have to be the same for all connections. If  BT or another ISP VM will have to install their own cable to your property.

It would be interesting to know what the blue ethernet cable from the 16 port switch is connected to.

How do you know the splitter isn’t for TV aerials? F connectors aren’t just for CATV so it’s possible they are just for standard TV.