Menu
ivo-cv
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installation takes far too long

I would really appreciate someone's insight into this:

18/07/2017 - signed contract for fibre optic broadband
23/08/2017 - booked installation. 8:10 - engineer came just to find out there is no cable to the house and he need to report back to pre-installation team. Said it should be 6-8 weeks to arrange cable pull through
23/08/2017 - 16:05 phone call from Virgin just to confirm the same information, however this time 8-10 weeks.
02/11/2017 - I am calling virgin to ask about progress of my installation and after about 45 minutes (while shifted from one person to another) I am ending up with somebody from pre-installation team who said I should have not been told how long it is going to take as "nobody knows".

To my question whether it is possible to narrow it down to weeks, months or years I am told that it is not possible...

Does anybody have any idea what can be done. What is the point of a company which can not deliver service for half a year?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Shweby
Dialled in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation takes far too long

The reason it takes a long time is they need permission from council/highways to install the ducting to your property which involves digging trenches in the pavement etc. But yes it is annoying granted. What are your other options for providers?
0 Kudos
ivo-cv
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Shweby

Thanks for your answer.

Ducting was originally installed last year in April/May. Unfortunately there seems to be a blockage just in front of my house.

My point is that half a year is "quite significant time" - to put it politely.

There is no other provider in my area for high speed broadband (currently 5-6 Mb frequently dropping - due to old telephone lines I was told)

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ivo-cv wrote:

Hi Shweby

Thanks for your answer.

Ducting was originally installed last year in April/May. Unfortunately there seems to be a blockage just in front of my house.

My point is that half a year is "quite significant time" - to put it politely.

There is no other provider in my area for high speed broadband (currently 5-6 Mb frequently dropping - due to old telephone lines I was told)

Yep, one to go to a local town council meeting and ask why they take so long to process works access permissions.

VM can only ask, and then wait/hope.

I was lucky in my last install that needed a new Tee in that VM got permission within a week of asking!

One way to track progress is going to www.roadworks.org and put your postcode in, then setting the date range to 3 months.

You should see an entry local to you with a Telephone logo with a VM reference and a date.

0 Kudos
ivo-cv
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi StopItRawr

Thanks for your suggestion. Strangely there is nothing planned on my street in next 12 months.

So what is the point of that signed contract... I have been waiting for 6 months already.

Do I actually have any rights as a customer?

0 Kudos
Shweby
Dialled in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If theres already ducting there then no construction work should be needed. The blockage will be cleared when they pull the old cable out and install the new one. To be honest it sounds like your being given the run around. Either that or the ducting is completely blocked and new ducting needs to be layed, but thats unlikely.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
davemac123
Up to speed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ivo   calm down  try to relax a bit because you surely will be sorted   look at other posts they are told  its not in there plans yet so you are almost there   now my ave is hopefully live end of jan early feb     as my wife says    who is never wrong      it will be done when its done   i had virgin at last house and the wait is driving me mad   sorry i will calm down     we are with you all the way       so keep calm   good luck

0 Kudos
StopItRawr
Well-informed
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Shweby wrote:
If theres already ducting there then no construction work should be needed. The blockage will be cleared when they pull the old cable out and install the new one. To be honest it sounds like your being given the run around. Either that or the ducting is completely blocked and new ducting needs to be layed, but thats unlikely.

I know it depends from council o council, but my local area DOES show works entries for blocked tees and ducts for my local area.

However, you're right to say that no construction is needed and some councils do not register them as planning applications that show on the roadworks maps, so don't use it as gospel.

I'd call the VM construction team 0345 045 0595

0 Kudos