cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation (street works and across garden)

FTTH
On our wavelength

Moved home in September and arranged an account movement and after 2 months of 4G routers we have service…. Yay!

The reasons for delay.

#1. blocked duct from cab requiring dig by swept T outside.

fixed pretty swift, nice tarmac patch scar showing the activity. However in doing this the Toby box remained broken and sited in Loc around 30cm from boundary…. In front of a neighbour gate pillar. But cable was there.

#2 VM wanted to access my property for external without appointment sometime/anytime. I kicked back and requested a pre-visit. 1 month later a nice site survey and agreement on route.

install day!

The guys made it from Toby box to garden!

They also made it to my house along the suggested route.

so.. my concerns.

will the local authority kick up a stink as VM never gave notice to breaking tarmac? Also that it is a temp fix.

will my neighbour have a claim on Me if his gate pillar now is compromised from being drilled through?

the fact I have flexiduct running across my side access path I guess is a minimal issue.

Should I complain and who to? The guys have a job to do, but some of this defect and there seems no clear route for complaint. Or should I stuck it up and get it fixed off my own back?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM's responsibility to fix all of this.  I'd be surprised if they had undertaken works involving the pavement without the necessary permits, as that's business as usual for any infrastructure or civils business.  Even if they didn't, and the council became aware, the outcome is only a fixed penalty notice to VM, so that'll just get paid off by VM if and when it happens.

In terms of the reported drilling through of a neighbours gate post, the neighbour certainly can demand that VM come and remove the cable and make good of any damage.  As a matter of neighbourly relations you might want to ask them if they mind, and if they do, then make sure that's something VM resolve at the same time as any routing issues get addressed.

Cable in exposed conduit is permissible, if it is properly done with a safe route, suitably secured, and to your satisfaction.  If any of those don't apply you are within your rights to ask VM to remediate the issue.  Bear in mind that digging and burying is often a preferable option, but if this involves breaking into (for example) your drive or a made-up garden path, then the reinstatement may not be of a very high standard.  I'd recommend against getting in somebody else to re-route the cable - not your responsibility to pay for this, and there's always the risk that a third party doing it manages to damage the cable (even kinking or crushing it can be very detrimental to broadband).

For this to be fixed, the forum staff can probably contact the Area Field Manager who'll need to "own" the sorting out of this.  Some AFM's will just grab the matter and get it sorted, some are.....well, let's just say they get paid a salary, but there's no other evidence of their existence.  If the forum staff can't get it resolved you'd need to complain to VM's CEO, and hope the CEO complaints team (who aren't the same bunch that fob off routine complaints) can get it resolved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

VM's responsibility to fix all of this.  I'd be surprised if they had undertaken works involving the pavement without the necessary permits, as that's business as usual for any infrastructure or civils business.  Even if they didn't, and the council became aware, the outcome is only a fixed penalty notice to VM, so that'll just get paid off by VM if and when it happens.

In terms of the reported drilling through of a neighbours gate post, the neighbour certainly can demand that VM come and remove the cable and make good of any damage.  As a matter of neighbourly relations you might want to ask them if they mind, and if they do, then make sure that's something VM resolve at the same time as any routing issues get addressed.

Cable in exposed conduit is permissible, if it is properly done with a safe route, suitably secured, and to your satisfaction.  If any of those don't apply you are within your rights to ask VM to remediate the issue.  Bear in mind that digging and burying is often a preferable option, but if this involves breaking into (for example) your drive or a made-up garden path, then the reinstatement may not be of a very high standard.  I'd recommend against getting in somebody else to re-route the cable - not your responsibility to pay for this, and there's always the risk that a third party doing it manages to damage the cable (even kinking or crushing it can be very detrimental to broadband).

For this to be fixed, the forum staff can probably contact the Area Field Manager who'll need to "own" the sorting out of this.  Some AFM's will just grab the matter and get it sorted, some are.....well, let's just say they get paid a salary, but there's no other evidence of their existence.  If the forum staff can't get it resolved you'd need to complain to VM's CEO, and hope the CEO complaints team (who aren't the same bunch that fob off routine complaints) can get it resolved.

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning FTTH, thanks for your post on our Community Forums!

I'd be happy to take some further details from you, and possibly some pictures of the concerns and seek to liaise with the area field manager for you

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

FTTH
On our wavelength

Thanks David,

Some images just for comment - it may be all is quite normal. 

path.jpggarden flex.jpgtoby.jpgomni.jpgpillar.jpg

That's atrocious but completely standard for VMs cowboys.

Why would you believe that VM had no permission to do digging? And even if this were the case it's nothing to do with you as it's a matter between VM and the council.

As for the neighbour's gatepost: again it's nothing to do with you and any complaint must be raised with VM by the neighbour.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Thanks for the pictures @FTTH, we can get this looked into as the cable to your omni box should be buried not just left on the surface.

I will be happy to take a look into this further for you, I will send over a private message so that we can get the process started.

Regards,

Steven_L

FTTH
On our wavelength

Cool, so reading between the lines of your text.

Its nothing to do with me. This is great to hear. 

I thought that the reason maybe there was not a planned excavation for the ‘second’ breaking of tarmac was the questionable technique.
Maybe my expectations are too high and they did drop to the required depth of cover. If so, I take it all back and declare it an awesome job done.