cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation service is an absolute joke!

andywolfy
Tuning in

I am now on my 5th install date and no closer to getting connected. Is it worth the hassle?

They have dug past my linving room and layed trunking to run the cable to the far end of the property and loop it back around the building to the living room. I told them when they marked up for the work not to put it there, but to run it straight in towards the living room. I even told them not to do any work until they had spoken to me.

They completely ignored me and did what they wanted.

I had to almost scream down the phone to get them to listen and send someone to my property, who agreed it makes more sense to put the trunking where I want it and promised it would be sorted.

They have now rescheduled twice because no-one has been to put a 6 foot length of trunking in the road!

Every time I speak to someone I am fobbed off with empty promises. It is 10 weeks since I ordered broadband and I have had nothing but hassle from Virgin Media so far. What confidence am I supposed to have that this shower of **bleep**e will be able to provide a decent broadband connection?

47 REPLIES 47

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you have any reasonable alternative options? OpenReach or a 4/5G SIM provider?

If they need to dig the pavement or street to do an install, then that has to go through your local council and it then disappears into a communications omnishambles that can add weeks/months to the procedure.

Was the route they chose to avoid that perhaps?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Unfortunately not. Openreach won't upgrade my cabinet (no reason given) and 5g is not available in my area.

Virgin is the only option for high speed broadband. I may end up cancelling and sticking with my **bleep**ty 4mb service.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You dont need to cancel - just wait till it happens - if it works fine then great - if it doesn't you have 14 days from "activation" in which to cancel the service and incur no charges whatsoever

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi andywolfy 

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. 

I am sorry to hear of the delays you are having with the installation. 

I would be happy to take a look at the account and provide you with an update on the work. 

I will pop you over a private message now to grab a few more details. This message will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon. 

Nat

Missed this on the first reply, I am on a private road so the council have nothing to do with this. They have permission from all other property owners and have laid trunking in the road already. The section of pavement they need to cross is my property and no, they have not chosen the route to avoid other utilities etc. They only lay the trunking aboout a foot down so dont go deep enough to disturb gas/water/electric.

There is no valid reason for them not to put the trunking in and, as I said in the op, they have agreed to do it. They just haven't done it.

Just an update on this. The groundworks were not carried out on the 6th as planned. Neither were they carried out on the 7th, 8th or 9th as rescheduled.

On the 10th I was told my installation has now been postponed.

Another long phone call and it turns out Virgin Media have now decided to 'upgrade' the network in my area. Sounds like just another excuse to me but they have agreed to send an engineer to see me tomorrow morning to explain exactly what work is being done and when it will be sorted.

Lets see if it happens!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I genuinely can't see why people would put up with this.

Other providers are available.

Not for high speed broadband in my area.

Open reach won't upgrade my local cabinet to fibre and 5g is not available yet.

In order to get anything other than 4mb broadband I have no choice but to use Virgin Media. If there was an alternative I would not be putting up with this.

Thanks for coming back to us @andywolfy.

Did the planned visit go ahead on Saturday for you to get more information about the work that was due to be carried out?

Regards,

Steven_L