cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation queries

jackkav
Joining in

Hi,

Im having virgin media installed next week and want to get a few of my queries answered before I drop them all on the engineer when they come.

Im having tv, broadband and phone installed.

I currently have BT coming from outside > under my floor and up into my back living room where the cablebox and router is located.

Ideally I would like this to stay the same except by adding 2 additional ethernet points 1. To a small front room to handle smart tv streaming and 2. To an upstairs 1rst floor office/gaming room where a hardwired connection would be a big advance.

1. Can I request the extensions to other rooms or is the engineer only here for the addition set up

2. I dont expect the engineer to go (crawspace) under the floor but I can to pass the cables through if possible.

3. Would there be any additional cost to this non standard install and would it be my rresponsibility to obtain or pay for any additional ccable and sockets needed

4 REPLIES 4

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not do any Ethernet cabling. They will put coax to where the hub and TV box(es) are located. For WiFi coverage it’s best to have the hub centrally in your home. As to underfloor cables best to put in a draw string/rope for the technician to use.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jackkav wrote:

Hi,

Im having virgin media installed next week and want to get a few of my queries answered before I drop them all on the engineer when they come.

<snip>

Your answers might depend entirely on a) the individual person who turns up to do the job and how helpful they are feeling at the time then b) how much time they have been allocated for the installation.

If you have an amenable tech, they might be willing for you to act as a helper and feed the cable through to you under the floor.

Alternatively, if you have the time before the install day, you could run in a continuous piece of conduit under the floor from front to back in advance of the tech visit. Fit a draw rope in the conduit so the tech can just tie on the cable and pull it through.

VM don't/won't install ethernet cables for you. You'd either need to DIY or get an electrician/computer/cabling tech to do that for you later on.

Your phone socket will be on the back of the VM hub (as this is how all new VM landlines are provided) in case that has any impact on how you connect your landline phone(s).

(Edit: Crossed with tudor)

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jackkav

Welcome to our Community Help Forum and to Virgin Media 🙂 Thank you for signing up for our services and for making this post regarding your installation.

Just to confirm, our installation engineers do not install ethernet cables, I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused. Please do keep us posted on how your installation goes!

Kind regards,

Serena

I’m facing a similar challenge and am keen to know whether the underfloor conduit was installed between the 2 points and whether when the engineer came to install he/she was able to fulfil all your requirements? If all okay, this is what I will get my electrician to do before Virgin come to install the 360 equipment and mini boxes in other rooms.
Thanks a lot.