Menu
ralphwt
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Installation of V6 TV box 25m from V3 Hub

Hi and apologies for long post,

We’ve just ordered Virgin Media broadband and TV and just had the so called installation survey and frankly was not impressed and could not get a clear answer as to whether we could have VM installed or not (we're on an un-adopted road although a neighbour does have VM.

Despite reading a lot of forums and the Virgin information videos I'm getting conflicting information and have have several questions or things I’d like confirmed. 

Our scenario is that we live in a bungalow so with a different layout to standard houses.  We expect  (hope) that the cable will come into the house at the nearest point to the road, which is in our study, but then from there to the primary TV is approximately 25m.  The second TV is in the adjacent room, so also about 25m from the entry point, and about 2m from the primary TV.  We’ve currently got Sky, so VM appears a very different setup and I’m IT literate but not very audio-visual minded.

1. I believe we must have a coax cable running from the hub (in our study) to the primary TV, which will be where the V6 box is (I understand).  If so, is that something we can run ourselves or do we need to pay VM extra to do that or do they do it for us as part of the initial setup.  There is a route where the cable could run under floorboards, but it’s clearly not a quick and simple thing to do.  If we do it ourselves is there a requirement or recommendation on the make or type of cable we use? One forum comment implied that done incorrectly that we could affect the neighbours’ reception?

2. For the second TV, how does that connectivity work, do we also need to run a separate coax cable from the hub to that TV, or can we “daisy chain” in some way from the first (which would be much easier for us?)

3. Is the fact that it is 25m from the hub to the V6 likely to be a problem with a degraded signal?

4. I understand we should also have an Ethernet connection (by preference), or a powerline/WiFi connection if not, to both V6 boxes.  Correct?

5. Is there a commitment to how deeply the cable across our property from the ducting in the street will be?  Can we request that a trench of a certain depth is dug?  We’ve been told locally of people with VM who had cable so shallow on a lawn that it would have been cut by a lawnmower!

Appreciate that this is a lot of questions but unless I can  get clear advice I'm minded to cancel the order.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation of V6 TV box 25m from V3 Hub

the starting point to me is you are on an un adopted road - my understanding is VM will not install unless the road is council adopted - but things might have changed - do you have an access point in front of your propety - small rectangular or triangular plasic cover on the pavement to allow them to pull the cable from the nearest cabinet - if so fine - if not i dont think they will install

that said i can answer a couple of your questions

they will cable it to your requirements if its practically possible - cables can run outside so the cable to the TV could run outside the property from the external box and then in through a wall - afaik they dont charge extra for long cable runs

extenal cables across lawns etc - thats a bit of a lottery - they will not go overboard in digging trenches - theres certainly examples of cables left above ground or just covered with gravel - expect that and anything else is a bonus - if you want it burried then the best thing is if you know the entry point and where the external box will bi did a trench or make sure they leave enough length for you to bury it after the install

but back to my main point before you do anything - be sure they will actually install

the TV connections i will leave to others with knowledge to comment

Tony
0 Kudos
EightBall
Superfast
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The following information is based on whether or not they'll install on an unadopted road. If your neighbor has services installed, it's not unlikely. A diagram of the street might help?

Anyway:

1. All pieces of CPE will be connected via a coax cable. The coax can be split anywhere. It can be split inside or outside the house. For example: The cable from the street could be run up to your study with an external box on the wall. The signal is then split, a cable run to your livingroom where the TV is and drilled through there. The floorboards option you mentioned is also an option but having this prepared and possible to do on the day of installation would be essential. Any floorboards that need lifting, have that done before hand. Make sure it's 100% possible to get a cable from one point to the next to avoid disappointment.

2. The second TV will need a coax cable too (and a box). Yes, it can daisy chain. Doesn't need to come from the original point.

3. Impossible to say. 25m is nothing for wifi to travel. The surfaces through which the signals have to travel will be the real decider here. The technician can carry out a wifi health check on your home. If they don't offer to do this, I suggest you request it.

4. Ethernet is preferred. This can be achieved via powerlines as you've stated. Depending on your package, VM may provide these free. The higher packages come with free wifi boosters. 2 or more boxes comes with a free ethernet only powerline (if it's needed). The box performs a speed test during installation so you will know straight away if they're required. 

5. Yes, there is a specified depth to which the cable should be buried. If you're home when the enablement crew arrive - I would watch them like a hawk and if you're not happy with it - just tell them. A rough guide is that it should be at least a spades depth deep.

0 Kudos
ralphwt
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Tony, we had feared as much. We're in an unadopted bit of road but our neighbour opposite and one house to the right is in a private road and they do have VM so there is a cable run that is within Virgin's 20 metre limit. But apparently we won't know until they come to do the job, if they do. Seems very uncoordinated and hit and miss to me. Thanks again for your advice. Ralph

0 Kudos
ralphwt
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Raising floorboards isn't a problem as I have these screwed rather than nailed as I have already got Gigabit hubs connected between the study (for the hub)  and the sitting room for the TV box.  The second TV is in an adjacent room and I can go under the floor and through the wall to get their which we've already done. I would always go hardwired over wi-fi if I can.  But also have Unify access points as well. So looking more hopeful, thank you!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ralphwt wrote:

Thanks very much Tony, we had feared as much. We're in an unadopted bit of road but our neighbour opposite and one house to the right is in a private road and they do have VM so there is a cable run that is within Virgin's 20 metre limit. But apparently we won't know until they come to do the job, if they do. Seems very uncoordinated and hit and miss to me. Thanks again for your advice. Ralph

there are 2 teams involved with a new install - the cable pull team are usually sub-contract and the communication between them and VM seems poor at best

the VM people here will just refer you back to the pre-install team as theres little they can do

the cable run you describe some 20 metres away is not the key - the key is if you have ab access point near your boundary for them to feed the cable back to the nearest cabinet - if there is no access point then the chances are they will not install - the most they would do is add that IF the duct passes your property - so a search along your boundary is the 1st thing - its all down to how the ducting was originally installed

if they do say they can install and you decide to order i would not be cancelling the sky BB until VM is up and running - accepting the order and getting it installed are very different things 

Tony
0 Kudos
ralphwt
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony and thanks again.  I went in to see Virgin today and explained what had happened.  The have arranged another pre-install survey and hopefully this time I'll get a definitive answer if it's a yay or nay.  The access point to the neighbours property is across the road from me, so about 5 meters from our property line.  But even if they can use it they are unclear how they'll proceed as it's a private road.  If they cant get their act together I seriously doubt that I'll proceed as thus far they haven't inspired my confidence.  We'll juts have to wait and see.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

From past experience Virgin will not dig up the road to install a duct to just one property.  Whether it's a public or private road the cost will not be worth it to them.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hpw close is the house to the right? It may be possible to pull another cable through their duct and run it to you over their property, e.g. their wall or garden. If so a wayleave may be needed.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
ralphwt
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's what I am hoping but the first per installation survey engineer was pretty much useless.  I'm having another one on Wednesday and will just have to hope they will send someone competent where these questions can be answered.

0 Kudos