cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation nightmare

hansen628
Tuning in

I informed my old internet providers, virgin media, in july that I was moving to my new flat and they gave me an install date of 14 August. The night before, they delayed it to 2 September, telling me that they need to contact the council to sort the cabling out.

Now it is 1 September and they have given me another delayed date of 30 September, telling me the exact same response and that they need to contact the council to sort the cabling out! It has been absolutely impossible to get someone here or in contact with customer service, and I don’t actually believe that they were in contact with the council to do any works (which hopefully someone in your team might be able to check).

I have been in contact with the previous tenants and they told me that as recently as June (when their lease ended) that virgin supplied their internet just fine at the time. So it’s unclear why works need to be done?

They give me the same cookie cutter response every single time and I will end up being out of internet for over two months with no guarantee that they will actually show up to attend the appointment in four weeks - it has already been cancelled twice before…

Really don't know what to do anymore. We haven't got any other providers to the property so am desperate for someone to answer.

7 REPLIES 7

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi hansen628,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, we are sorry to hear you still haven't been installed in your new property and haven't been given any further information in regards to what the delay is, I will be more than happy to look further into this for you, so I can get some further information and clear security I will send you a invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks Paul for your explanation but this is the same one given to me by customer service - if you look at above explanation you will see that this is second time with delay, and previous tenants had functional wifi service, not sure why I cannot be put on same service as they are and a cable needs to be replaced?

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

what does the postcode checker tell you - if it confirms the property can be installed and the previous tenant had VM then why did you not order a quick start kit and just set it up

Tony.
Sacked VIP

The postcode checker said it was fine when I moved. The website said my services can be moved and then scheduled a technician automatically. It still says QuickStart eligible but doesn’t work once plugged in. 

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i am somewhat confused you say that there was a working connection there in june/july and you ordered a quick install that does not work when plugged in - what is not clear is that a tech has actually been to check whats wrong - if no one has been then the whole thing makes no sense

however if a tech has been and tried to repair the connection and found problems with the cable from the cabinet that would then make sense 

assuming its the latter that would explain the contact back to the council - if the cable is damaged and a new one cannot be pulled because the duct is blocked or damaged then a permit is needed to dig and resolve the problem - the permission for that can take 6 weeks or more - then add time for the job to happen - the cable to be pulled and the final install to happen and the time scales they are giving you make sense

unfortunately confirming all of that via VM is nigh on impossible as departments do not seem to talk to each other so you just have to wait for it to happen

but going back full circle if a tech has not been then you need to try and get one to come and see what the hell is happening

Tony.
Sacked VIP

hansen628
Tuning in

Still waiting for this. Been told an engineer will come around tomorrow to explain what the hell is going on but I have no idea/trust that it will actually happen.

As we guessed, the engineer never showed up. 8am-1pm appointment, rang then told they'd be here 2:17pm, then never showed up. Waited all day for this