Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installation (lack of) communication

Hi,

I'm currently in my second attempt to join Virgin Media.  I first attempted to join in January this year, but then it turned out they were unable to blow the fibre to the cabinet due to some kind of blockage (also, the engineer seemed bemused that my house isn't connected to the nearest cabinet...).  As my existing FTTC service was about to be cancelled and I was due to start a new job I just backed out of it as there was zero communication about what would happen next.

Anyway, fast forward to the end of last month and I thought I'd give it another go - but this time maintain my FTTC connection until I was happy everything was sorted so that there was no chance I'd be without internet connectivity.

It turns out that was a good decision, as that same blockage I reported in January is still present - apparently it means that a number of houses at my end of the street wouldn't be able to be connected.  This seems very short-sighted that they didn't bother to fix it due to my original cancellation.

Anyway, I've had a couple of engineer visits now but no one has been able to tell me what happens next. I've had no communication from Virgin Media beyond the original order confirmation.  

It all seems very poor, and I'm tempted to just cancel again as this is not the kind of hassle I want if there are problems with the service.

Is this typical?  Has anyone else encountered this same problem and had it resolved? I've read in separate posts that it means they need to get permission to dig up the pavement from the council, which can take 4-6 weeks.  Fine if so, but why can't they communicate this stuff?!

Cheers,

Nat

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation (lack of) communication

Why would they spend money fixing it after you cancelled - makes no business sense - they need the reassurance that anyone they connect up is going to take their service to recoup the costs

Anyways are you in discussion with the Pre-installation and delivery team - they may have more info?

On.. 0800 052 1734

However with a blocked duct its not going to be straightforward or quick as you have realised. Are there any clues on you online account notes?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes,

I'm also having the same issue. Little communication and it has taken four attempts on seperate days to try and pull the line to find out that construction work is needed however I was told that someone would ring me. No follow up or communication has happened and this echoes what I have experienced so far.

I wish it was straight forward but I'm willing to hang on and give it a go but I do not want to be without internet after black friday where my Plusnet account has been closed and there maybe some good deals around with other providers.

I have spoken the pre-installation team before, most of it is off-shore and they're just reading off a screen. It's just a sit and wait game and see what turns up.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello

Once a blockage has been found then Virginmedia have to gain permission from the local council to do the work as it involves digging up the pavement and this will be be where the hold up as this permission can take between 6 - 8 weeks to be given by the council.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I had the same issues getting VM installed into my street, they came knocking on asking to sign up to get the street cabled in the Aug 2019, the construction work took place Feb 2020 but due to "blocked ducts" in the older streets they couldn't feed the coax to my house and everyone else's on the my street. I say block ducts, it was the fact there was no room in the trunking from Telewest days when it was first laid in the older streets 20+ years ago. It was so hard to get any information from VM about what was going on, where things were about the whole thing. It took till mid-July 2020 for things to be installed, nearly a year later. I stuck with it, I kept my Plusnet going, even though I was out of contract so paying £45pm rather than £17pm or something like that.

It comes down to 2 main issues : 

- They use contractors for digging, different contractors for cabling and then VM themselves, so 3 different companies that need to talk and communicate with one another, which they do... eventually.

- Second issue, is there is no one really dedicated to relaying that info back to the customer for normal blockages. Thankfully as mine was classed an an "expansion" so I could eventually talk directly to the construction team who were helpful in telling me what was going on when I did my monthly call to them. I did eventually get hold of an area manager who came to my house and explained in detail what the issues were and he was a really nice chap. 

Keep your FTTC ISP going, and just wait it out!

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I understand the business reasons, from a financial perspective, perfectly well.  It is, however, misleading to new customers in terms of turnaround time and it still seems highly inefficient to pretend they didn't find out the first time and go through the whole process again.

They could presumably have logged this location as a problem spot and dealt with it professionally when a relevant new order came in.

No, no notes or anything useful on my account as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks to everyone who replied.  It sounds like "wait it out" is the best (or most achievable anyway) solution, and in a way it's not a problem as I have existing connectivity.

What does concern me is that if/when I go "all in" with Virgin Media, this is the type of service I'll have - with nothing to fall back on.  That's what makes me pause and wonder whether it's worth the hassle.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@natwallbank wrote:

What does concern me is that if/when I go "all in" with Virgin Media, this is the type of service I'll have - with nothing to fall back on.  That's what makes me pause and wonder whether it's worth the hassle.

To be fair you have that exact same thing if you go with BT/Sky/etc and is the reason why some of us who have been working from home most of the year have decided to invest in 2 separate ISPs. It's a small price to pay for almost guaranteed internet access. 

For example, we have a neighbourhood WhatsApp group, and it seems that BT is having major problems recently with companies digging up the pavements and road to install new fibre services. BT says they are "disturbing" the copper cables and making them unstable, meaning people are having slow speeds and regular drop outs. 

0 Kudos