cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation keeps getting delayed

09loopy0
On our wavelength

Trying to sign up to Virgin Media is hell, first I spent months getting my address onto their system and now installation has been delayed twice.

I am a software dev, I need to do interviews using my webcam to get a job and I can't do that, I am not even able to video call my own clients and my old broadband was terminated the day after the first installation date.

I have 0 hope that these guys will get it installed and want to leave, I will switch back to Sky. I can't count on Virgin Media if they can't install. What are the next steps?

22 REPLIES 22

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this...

The current VM installation process is badly managed when things arent straightforward. So dont bother chasing it. Let them play their games and let the installation play out. Do nothing. You pay nothing (£0) until a VM connection is installed and activated. And even from then (if it gets that far) you have 14 days in which to cancel - again with no costs. Or keep it if you like it in those 14 days

Can you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or a 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract? Three and Smarty have a 30day 4G unlimited package for £20 (or less on a deal). If so, do it now and just let the VM install run its course. You will pay nothing until VM's service is installed and operational. When it finally happens, as said, you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or, if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel the other service (hence better if you took a 30-day contract).

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I've called them up and they offered a little compensation but it doesn't even come close to the loss I have from not being able to work.

Apparently it is due to a construction issue but the pre-installation team admitted they are going a bit slow and even the complaints department thought it was slow. I don't really want to sign up on any sort of contract just to avoid hard checks but I might just go get a prepaid sim in the meantime and hope it is enough to last.

The communication is really bad, same automated text message to say delayed, no one calling to say why it is delayed.

Think I'll leave when it is installed, it is hard to accept being in an 18 month contract when I might have issues down the line and have no way to really communicate those issues. I see EE now have 1Gbps in my area, probably make the jump.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Shame you didn't come here before signing up and cancelling your existing provider as we always recommend retaining that until you have test driven VM for a few days and only then cancel it if you are satisfied with VM.  A ~30days of double connectivity is a small price to pay for an insurance policy for continuity.

Do the jump (monthly contract?) and leave the VM installation to play out.

When (if!) it happens... test it for a few days and then cancel it. If you ever come back you will know yiou have a good and working connection.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Anonymous
Not applicable

If EE fttp really is ready to go in your area then I wouldn't think twice personally but do check with them directly that it is ready to be installed first. 

I'm quite lucky to be in an area where it is and not just them, there are some smaller companies too! I went with Virgin because of the price but for the case of saving a few quid a month I am still waiting.

I always used to believe Virgin were the premium option!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take a look at Trustpilot (2.1/5' "poor") and Which? 2022 rankings (second from bottom) to see how premium they are these days. 

:((((( I still have a little bit of hope that once it is installed it is reliable and a good speed (Paid for 512Mbps down).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah if/when it works then it can be fine but you will probably need your own premium router for WiFi. Don't forget your 14 day cooling off period too. 

Hi @09loopy0,

Thank you for your posts and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that there have been some delays and complications with getting your installation sorted out. I appreciate that it's not ideal, and I do apologise, but for pre-installation queries and concerns I would recommend contacting our pre-installation team directly by calling 0800 052 1734.

They should be able to tell you why the installation has been delayed and when we expect to have a further update on the completion of the necessary work. If, however, you did wish to cancel the order and not wait any longer, they can also advise you of your options with that.

Let us know how things go and what you decide to do either way.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!