cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issues

Jayp2023
Tuning in

Well, I’m a bit stuck on what to do now, advice would be great.

- signed up for internet during November.

- install date was 17th December

- engineer on the 17th December explains there’s no light on the cable and can’t continue, contact VM

- Dec 18th installations team confirmed issue and someone would be in contact

- No email or phone contact for a while, but eventually my app updates with new engineer visit on 20th January.

- 20th January rolls by and the engineer confirms the problem still exists. He happily does his part of the work but tells me the pre install team with the cherry picker / scissor lift would have to come out to change the cable round. He further explains they’ve installed the cable incorrectly and would take only a few minutes to fix and that a house down the road had the same issue. He contacts his supervisor to push for the lads to turn up and get me connected and told me I wouldn’t have to do anything or contact anyone.

- 25th January (today) still not connected, contacted VM help team by phone to see when the crew will turn up and I’m being told there’s intermittent problems and to turn my router off and on……

that’s where I’m at. Advice please! Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jayp2023 wrote:

<snip>

Read the many, many similar topics on here and you will see that a) you are not alone and b) you might be in for a long wait for your connection.

Firstly capture a record of that first installation date on 17 Dec as that will be when any compensation you are due will be applied from

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and updated rates

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Keep detailed and accurate records (which you already seem to be doing) of all your interactions and comm's with VM. Topics on here regularly describe how VM seeks to avoid fully paying what is due with inaccurate information about the sequence of events for failed installations.

You mention a cherry picker is required to remedy the fault. Worth noting that VM's ability to work at heights seems to be very limited (based on past topics on here) so this may further slow progress for you.

Start looking into backup options to keep you going while you wait for VM e.g. 4/5G mobile data/hotspot on a rolling monthly connection or a connection via an Openreach supplier on a rolling monthly basis.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jayp2023 wrote:

<snip>

Read the many, many similar topics on here and you will see that a) you are not alone and b) you might be in for a long wait for your connection.

Firstly capture a record of that first installation date on 17 Dec as that will be when any compensation you are due will be applied from

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0026/216962/Industry-Code-of-Practice-for-Automatic-...

and updated rates

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/costs-and-billing/automat...

Keep detailed and accurate records (which you already seem to be doing) of all your interactions and comm's with VM. Topics on here regularly describe how VM seeks to avoid fully paying what is due with inaccurate information about the sequence of events for failed installations.

You mention a cherry picker is required to remedy the fault. Worth noting that VM's ability to work at heights seems to be very limited (based on past topics on here) so this may further slow progress for you.

Start looking into backup options to keep you going while you wait for VM e.g. 4/5G mobile data/hotspot on a rolling monthly connection or a connection via an Openreach supplier on a rolling monthly basis.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Jayp2023

We're sorry to hear of your experience and delays to your installation, we appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

We're sorry to hear of the delays to your installation and the difficulties getting to speak to the team in regards to this. Have you called the Install Team on 0800 052 1734 for an update as to what is happening? 

Rob

Hi Rob,

yeh that’s the number I called, I called it to originally report the issue last month and used the same number again after the second engineer visit,

I guess I’ll give it another try to see if there’s an update,

Jay

Update for anyone who wants to read.

Jan Sat 28th I gave the pre installation team a call. I was told that due to my account being active it was nothing to do with them and they transferred me to tech support. the lady I spoke to in that department was just as confused and said “I don’t know why they transferred you to us, it’s an issue for the pre install team” anyway - she booked another engineer visit for Monday 30th.

January Mon 30th - another engineer visit to confirm issues still were there and he couldn’t do anything. Confirmed what other engineers have said and that he would do what he could to get me online by sending emails making a few calls. 

January 31st /Today - one of the engineers text me to let me know it was fixed this morning. Now I’m home I can confirm that it is in fact fixed, thanks to the persistence of these 2 engineers pushing emails and making phone calls for me. Top lads! 

Shame I had to wait 45 days from original install date though. I wonder how much auto comp I’ll get.. but at least I’m back online. 

Did your installation require an external cable re-pull? And did you already have an omni-box outside of the property?

I am in a similar situation (see here) and my external re-pull job always gets delayed and delayed...

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Jayp2023 wrote:

<snip>

Shame I had to wait 45 days from original install date though. I wonder how much auto comp I’ll get.. but at least I’m back online. 

It is quite possible that whatever compensation you think you are due, VM will come up with a lesser figure.

Unfortunately you need to go through the whole sorry timeline of events it took to get you connected and come up with your own calculation for compensation. Include any missed technician appointment visit which may be payable under the scheme as well as delays from your original installation date (which looks like it was 17 December).

VM has to credit you within 30 days of your connection becoming live.