cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation issues

AlexJessup
Tuning in

Can anyone help re an installation gone wrong?! 

Third party came to fit the external box on 8 September. Virgin technician came on 13 September to do internal work but couldn’t because there was a fault with the external work.

Spent two days trying to get someone to come out and resolve (apparently Virgin don’t feed back issues like these internally so it’s it to customers to register the issue! 🤯) . After over 2 hours of calls over 2 days. finally registered issue with pre-installation team only to receive a text later this afternoon to say they were coming out on 15 October!!! And this was after me having asked them to note on the file that my wife runs her business form home so we can’t be without Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know a way to circumvent the system and actually get it resolved earlier?! I’m at my wits end!!!

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AlexJessup, thanks for the message and sorry to hear that you are having issues with the installation. 

I am sorry to hear that the works are taking longer than usual and we will aim to get this resolved as soon as we can. 

Contraction works can take 6-8 weeks and we would not be able to do this any sooner, as they may need equipment etc.

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. But the works have already happened and just need fixing so I’m not clear why the standard 6-8 weeks would apply given it’s already partly installed? The Virgin technician said it should only be a 20min job. Rather than a completely new installation.

unfortunately we will probably have to cancel Virgin as we can’t wait another 4-5 weeks until mid October.

thanks

alex

jem101
Superstar

@AlexJessup wrote:

Can anyone help re an installation gone wrong?! 

Third party came to fit the external box on 8 September. Virgin technician came on 13 September to do internal work but couldn’t because there was a fault with the external work.

Spent two days trying to get someone to come out and resolve (apparently Virgin don’t feed back issues like these internally so it’s it to customers to register the issue! 🤯) . After over 2 hours of calls over 2 days. finally registered issue with pre-installation team only to receive a text later this afternoon to say they were coming out on 15 October!!! And this was after me having asked them to note on the file that my wife runs her business form home so we can’t be without Wi-Fi.

Does anyone know a way to circumvent the system and actually get it resolved earlier?! I’m at my wits end!!!

Thanks

Now the record for a delayed installation is, I believe, about 13 MONTHS, but the thing to always be aware is that you are signing up for a domestic, home broadband connection with absolutely no guarantees regarding service level. If your wife is running a business based on this, then fair enough, it’ll probably be fine, eventually, but just be aware that if and when it all falls over then as far as VM are concerned ‘tough’, your wife’s business has folded due to no connectivity, sorry about that but again ‘tough’.

There is a good reason why commercial, business-level broadband connections cost many, many, many times what you are paying. How about £1000 a month for a guaranteed symmetric gigabit connection with the appropriate service level agreements and compensation?

As for the note on the file regarding your wife’s business, a) there is a good chance that said note was never made, and b) even if it was, nobody at VM will be impressed by it or take nay notice of it at all.

Now nothing will make VM move themselves any quicker, the reality is that you will get connected up when and if their contractors get around to it. However, what you could do is to also sign up with an alternative supplier, BT, Sky, whoever. They use an entirely different infrastructure and can run in parallel with the VM provision. Yes, you would be paying for two internet connections, but think of it like fire insurance, just how important is the internet connection for your wife’s business?

Hi Alex,

Thank you for reaching back out to us, we are sorry the Install hasn't been done when expected and that you will have to wait longer, I was able to locate you on our system with the details we have for you and can see you have spoken to us, what was advised?

Regards

Paul.

Hi Paul

We were advised someone would be in contact with a date for fixing the external work from 8 September. At no time did anyone say it would be another month. We were told we’d receive a text which we did but can’t reply to it even when type CHAT as instructed.

Especially frustrating as the Virgin technician who did the internal work on 13 September said once the external work (by third party and he thought would be relatively easy) was done it would only take him 10mins to finish off his internal work. 

So it doesn’t sound like a major job to finish off which is why we expected it could be fitted relatively easy and over the next couple of days.

To be honest because of the significant impact on our family (my wife hasn’t been able to work and my children can’t complete online schoolwork since 12 September), unless the work can be bought forward to early next week, we will have to go back to Plusnet (who we only left on 12 September!) because they can connect a lot quicker .

Get the impression everyone in the call centres are stretched but I’m unable to see why the work can’t happen early next week.

Thanks 

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks for coming back to the thread.

I appreciate the frustration, however, we would have booked in the first available slot.

Please let us know how it goes or if you need further assistance.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Message #4 above tells you all you need to know. 

Virginmedia will connect you when they or their subcontractors can get round to it. Do not rely on any dates that may be offered to keep you waiting.

Can you get a 4g or 5g dongle to use in the meantime?  You should really have one anyway as a standby for when VM fails in the future. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AlexJessup

I can see that you have recently spoken with the team and have has this looked into and discussed with you. We do apologies if no earlier appointments are available to complete the installation. Hopefully this is resolved for you soon and there are no further delays or issues after the installation dates you have scheduled. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley