Menu
Peddeh
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Installation in a flat

Hi there,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post.

I'm getting Virgin Media installed in my flat tomorrow, after recently being notified that Virgin Media is now ready (after some workmen spent a few weeks laying the ground works), so I'm making the switch from my current provider. My understanding is this is setup as a communal distribution system.

I'm getting Broadband and a Phone Line (honestly because it worked out cheaper to take out a Phone Line than it was to get Broadband on its own), so I'm a bit curious how the installation will work, so I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light.

I have a spare bedroom, which I basically use as my office, which contains my main desktop PC. It's unable to receive wireless signals (and frankly I'd prefer to be wired anyway). I'll need to have the main modem installed in here.

However, the landline will be best placed in the main living room, which is just next door. This isn't a problem under my current provider, as we have a lot of phone line sockets. My understanding is that phone line under Virgin Media operates under VoIP, so would need to be connected to the Hub in some way.

Is this kind of setup going to be an issue?

0 Kudos
dnpark38
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation in a flat

I think they have 2 types of phone, in my case the phone wires are like BT/Open Reach and have a master socket just like my BT/OR one and side by side here.

"VM 50 Mps Broadband and anytime phone."
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The phone line is physically separate. You would be able to connect that to the existing phone lines, but not the broadband coax.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If it's FTTP your phone will be VoIP, if it's HFC (coaxial) it may be VoIP or traditional copper wire.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Peddeh
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

To update, had my services installed. Unfortunately, phone has to be connected to the hub, but this isn't an issue. As the technician advised, I could route a long extension through the wall, which is what I've done.

Couldn't be happier with the performance so far, after putting up with a slow ADSL line for 12 years Smiley Happy.

0 Kudos
paul0363
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

If you have an extension socket near your hub you can also use a BT to BT cable (assuming they provided a small RJ11 to BT adapter with your hub) and connect it to the extension socket.  This will allow all your other extensions to work (you'll need to disconnect them from your old master BT socket though - usually by removing the lower half and removing the wires from the back).

This is how they did mine which lets me use all my extensions round the house:

20190131_220129.jpg

0 Kudos