Menu
ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Installation delayed

Hi,

I ordered the ultimate package back on the 9th of July 2019 and the installation date was set for the 2nd of August 2019, which was a day after I moved to the new house.

One of my criteria to choose a new house for this move was for it to be serviced by Virgin Media, which your website said it was. Since the order went through and a installation date was set, I went ahead with the move.

Last week, 2 days before the install, I got an email saying that the installation had to be put on hold as the duct is blocked and someone sprayed the CATV hole cover in the ground in front of the property with a green spray.

I've been contacting the Costumer Service and the Pre-install team every day with the hope to get more information on what's happening and all they can tell me is that someone is looking into it and that I will be contacted when they have more information, but that they can't give me any indication of how long this process will take, so my installation is on hold indefinitely.

My neighbour next door has Virgin Media installed, but now I have to make do with the 4G internet from my Virgin Mobile sim card I got through the post.

I work from home and having a good internet connection is crucial. I signed up for the Ultimate pack purely to get the 500Mbps advertised speed as I didn't care for the TV, Phone and Mobile sim, but I'm now starting to regret this house move, especially after reading countless similar stories of other people complaining about the same issue.

The whole street has VM on both sides, there's 3 CATV holes just in front of the house, and some more at the back and the neighbours have VM, so I was convinced that having it installed in this house wouldn't be a problem.

I don't mind waiting for a couple of weeks until it gets installed, but the worst is not having at least an indication of when the installation can go ahead, if it goes ahead at all.

I've spoken to a few people over the phone, and no one can give me an answer. Surely, if the duct is blocked, and this has been identified almost a week ago, the job to unblock it would have been booked already (even if at the end of the queue?).

Can you guys pull some strings and give me some more info on this please?

Kind Regards,
E

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation delayed

a blocked duct means that they currently aren't able to get the required cable to your property.
it could be a quick fix or it could be a length fix, depending on the blockage and where it is.

it may be as simple are just a quick cable re-pull clearing the duct, or it may require the street being dug up (worst case scenario).

unfortunately you won't be able to get service until that blockage is fixed.
it could be days, weeks, months, depending on what permits are required to carry out the work.
ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi chenks,

Thank you for the reply.

That makes sense, but surely, when they saw the duct was blocked, they probably identified the type of work involved? i.e. at least assess if it is an easy or difficult job?

Wouldn't they be able to get a cable from the neighbours duct? the houses are next to each other.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

not necessarily, the initial installation check would have identified a block, but not the reason for the block.
it would be different teams that do that.

the cable needs to come from the street cabinet to your property. there will be a termination point on the pavement just outside your property.

if digging is required to fix it then they need the necessary permits from the council etc etc.
ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

On the phone they said the problem wasn't the connection to the house (even if there's no VM box inside), so I'm a bit puzzled with that info and wondering if they were just making stuff up?

Also, if another team needs to visit in order to identify the problem, don't they have information about when this will happen? Do you know how long it would usually take for the 2nd team to come over?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Also, if someone from VM sees this. I can see my next door neighbour's box in the garden, which I believe we could pull a cable back to my garden and then living room.

If this speeds up the process I could ask the neighbour to let me pull a cable from his garden to mine until the proper cable pull can be done.

The houses are attached so it shouldn't be too problematic especially as we wouldn't need to dig the garden or anything. Just as a temporary solution so I can get the internet up and running.

Not holding my breath, but if this could be sorted you would make me a very happy customer as I still dont have any information about how long it will take to unblock the duct in front of my house.

Regards

0 Kudos
SBooton
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

This is exactly what happened to us!

Blocked duct, no updates etc. We cancelled and the day after we woke up and the construction work had been done. We’re due our installation Friday. Fingers crossed.

ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

How long have you been waiting since the original installation date?

0 Kudos
SBooton
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

All in all about 6 weeks. We were due to be connected at the beginning of July.

Originally we were quoted 6-8 weeks just for the construction team to come out and do what they needed to do. The day we canceled someone must have visited in the night because we woke up the next day and a slab from outside our house had been lifted and replaced, and we had some blue rope attached to a house brick coming out of the plastic tubing underneath the brown VM box on the outside of the house. We also had the green spray etc.

I'm not sure whether us canceling had any impact on it happening whatsoever. Once they'd done what needed to be done they asked if we'd like to rejoin and offered us: Free instalation, £25 off the first month's bill and a few other bits. We said yes. The following Monday a surveyor came out and checked and said everything was good. During the night yesterday the cable pull took place and we now have black wires outside ready to be connected up on Friday.

The one thing I will note and I'm not sure if it'll be the same for you is that the first time we placed our order we were never asked to sign a contract, never sent any details for online log ins, not asked if we'd like a surveyor or anything else. When we rejoined we were given welcome e-mails and touchwood everything seems to be going as it should be. Couldn't be further from the first time we'd signed up.

ECarneiro
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thank you!

Yep, I'm at the stage where they can't give me any dates. They have no timescales.

I can see that they painted the CATV hole cover in green, but that's it.

I received the emails and I can access my account, the TV mobile app and I got a sim card (I went for the ultimate bundle) which I'm actually using now for my internet. I'm getting Fiber speeds of 65mbps down and 20mbps up which is not bad at all for a 4G connection, so that "saved" me for now.

I don't mind waiting a few weeks, but not having any information is a bit stressing and disappointing.
0 Kudos