cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation delayed

Phillstanyo
Tuning in

I placed a new order for VM BB and telephone a few weeks before moving to a new address to rent. I was then informed the night before moving in that the installation was to be delayed. I wish i was told sooner that there would be an issue so that I could have looked for alternatives to Internet as I work from home. VM did send me a Huawei WiFi dongle with a 4g sim, but the service is terrible in the property. 

I see in my account that a service request has been booked for 5th Dec, and has been rolling as the days pass by. A couple of contractors did show up last week and seemed to have done some cable work under the pavement in front of the house, but I'm not sure what the outcome of this was as they left later on without telling me anything. 

Has the external work been done now? I'm getting no communication from VM and my work is getting affected by the poor Internet at the moment. 

11 REPLIES 11

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Phillstanyo 

You could try speaking to the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734

A member of the Forum Team may pick this up for you and check, but it might be a couple of days.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Phillstanyo, thanks for posting - welcome to the community.

Really sorry to hear about the delays with your installation, I can appreciate this will be far from ideal and something you will be eager to see resolved asap. 

I'd like to take a closer look into it and see if we can find an update and help push things along for you - please get back to me via PM (the purple envelope icon) and we'll be able to do that.

Tom 

Thank you for your reply Tom. I've pm'ed you 

Two contractors from Kier arrived earlier this morning. They said something about how because there is scaffolding around the property, they couldn't do any digging for the cable because it would be dangerous for the scaffolding, but then they assured me that because the basement flat had virgin media already set up, they could use that to connect our flat so that we're set up today.

Later, I saw a man wearing a virgin media jumper outside looking at the front of the house (I think he was for the second appointment to actually set up the services). He never rung the bell and just left. 

That second appointment has overrun by one hour and I still didn't hear from a Virgin Media engineer, so I called up to enquire what was going on. I was informed that the first two individuals who attended left a note saying that the work could not be completed as extra work was needed. So why would they tell me that I would definitely get set up today?

This is such a stressful situation for me and its causing me a lot of anxiety. What is going on? Why wouldn't that  virgin media man who came later ring the bell and speak to me so I could relay the information the first two guys told me? 

Phillstanyo
Tuning in

Any Virgin Media staff here who can jump on and chase the necessary people? I was promised a call back yesterday about rebooking the engineer installation, and this call back obviously never happened. 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Phillstanyo,

Sorry to hear about the issues you have faced with your installation, I can see that you do have a complaint raised from prior conversations which I can update for you, there has also been an update with regards to when your appointment has been booked and we have sent text confirmation, did you receive that?

Just to follow up on the failed callback, have you received any correspondence since you posted?

Kind regards,

Kain

Hi Kain,

Thank you for your message. I have been in talks with Tom via personal message and have been updating him. Here is an update:

Two appointments were scheduled for 13th December (one to bring cable to my property and install external box, second for technician to do internal installation). Two guys from Kier arrived in the morning, said they couldn't dig the cable under the front garden due to scaffolding around the property, but assured me I would get set up that day. They left without updating me, and I later saw a man wearing a virgin media jumper look at the property briefly and then left without knocking. Over the phone, customer service assured me that the external work would be done later this week and I'd be connected. I pressed as to why the second appointment wasn't booked (the internal installation) and they assured me it would be booked automatically once the external work is completed and I'd be up and running this week. 

Yesterday, 15th December two lovely men arrived and said they were here to get the cable to the property and install the external box. They managed to achieve this but left the cable overground so as to not disturb the scaffolding, saying they'd have to return at a later date when the scaffolding is removed to bury it. That's what the 11th Jan service request (as you mentioned, I got a text confirming it) is for.

Now all I need to get set up and running is to have a technician visit my home so that he can drill the wall to get the cable from the external box and into my office and set up the equipment. Problem is - earliest customer service said I can book this appointment is 7th January! So, because those two men on 13th Dec were too incompetent/lazy to do their jobs, I missed that technician installation and now have to wait for almost another month for the earliest appointment to get set up?

Incredibly frustrating experience. To be told countless times I'd be set up on x date only for incompetence to mean we have to spend Christmas without Internet, and my work from home also has to suffer. 

I called twice to ask for this technician installation to be brought forward but was told both times that all they could do was put me on a priority list. Is there nothing more I can do but wait and hope they were actually telling me the truth? I think my only option is to call every morning in hopes that there was a cancellation and I could book an earlier date. 

Also, no - I haven't received a call from anyone at all during this whole process 

Hi Phillstanyo

Thanks for coming back to us. I can see Tom is chasing an update for you and would be in touch as and when there is one.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill