cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation delayed

Kez1
Tuning in

I'm in the same boat. I've just moved into our new house (not new build) and some external works need to be done. I put this request in back early August 21 and we are now approaching mid October. Reason being, construction to get a permit from the council and action the work can take up to 8 weeks. Well I am now on my 7th approaching 8 and have been running off VM's temporary mobile broadband dongle. Signal is shocking in my area too and the connection isn't stable in the slightest. 

I have rang multiple times and nobody from CS can give me a straight answer. The only thing that has happened is that some green paint has been sprayed just at the end of our driveway.

If it is going to take eternity to complete the works, there should be much better communication to tell the customer what is going on, irregardless of whether the construction is being performed by an external company. Schedules and plans should be in place! You don't operate based on guess work otherwise you would achieve nothing! 

[MOD EDIT: Post split to create own thread and subject title changed for clarity]

8 REPLIES 8

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not sure how the VM dongle service works - are you actually having to pay anything for that - as the normal BB contrct only starts the say that its installed and activated.

So, at your location could you connect to OR,Sky, BT etc - or a better 4G/5G service - perhaps on a 30-day contract?

If so do it now. Let the VM install run its course. When it finally happens you have 14 days in which to cancel it at no cost to yourself and keep the other service. Or if VM is working to your satisfaction, keep it and cancel

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Kez1,

Welcome back! Thanks for posting on here.

I have emailed the area field manager about this, I will update you once I get a response.

I am sorry for the delay with your installation.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

So the dongle service was provided as I asked when going through the move house process. Its free of charge and the mobile service package is currently on an unlimited bandwidth tariff to keep us going. Unfortunately the signal strength is pretty poor and the connection barely sustains 2Mbps. 
Virgin Media do setup a direct debit and "official" process but don't charge for anything. I'm glad they've accepted this otherwise I would have been truly stuck. 
I am chewing over the available 1 month contract services in my area. Now TV currently have this going and I'm tempted to subscribe to get something more stable whilst VM sort their act out. However the setup fees are quite steep.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are you in a Three 4G or 5G area? If so they have some good monthly unlimited BB deals for around £30 month - with a £29 upfront cost

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Kez1,

I am still waiting for a response from the are field manager.

I am sorry for the wait on this.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Hayley, 

Tom_F is also looking into this under ref# C-17102157. 

Please can you both ensure the relevant parties are aware of this lengthening situation without any updates or progress?

Kind regards.

Hi jbrennand,

I am within their 4G area. No 5G at the moment.

However since the mobile signal strength is relatively poor across the board, I believe for all services (my wife is on EE and I am on Vodafone) we experience rather unreliable data connections; I highly doubt Three can offer me a solid service 99% of the time.

I would prefer to have a direct cable to the house whether that is via a phone line on mast or VM via fibre and coax.

Regards.

Hi

Is there any update on this? I am heading into my 10th week of no service.