cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation date "postponed", no other info given

AntVM
On our wavelength

My installation date was due to be tomorrow, August 12th. A survey was carried out, I was shown where the cable ran across the road leading to my property, and I was told the cable pull to the house would be done before the 12th. I called to find out when it was happening and was told the cable pull would happen last Monday. I called a couple of times on Monday and was told it would definitely happen before 8pm. As the surveyor had said the front wall would need to be drilled through and the front lawn would need a channel dug in it, and the cable would have to pass under my rockery, I was keen to be there when it happened. But no-one turned up. I then received a phone call on Thursday saying the installation had been postponed and that they'd be doing a new survey as a matter of urgency. 

I've heard nothing since, and when I track the order all the dates have disappeared. I do have an account number though, and I do have the original order confirmation that also confirmed the installation date. 

I'm new to Virgin Media. Based on other people's experience, what do you think is likely to happen next? When I phone up there seem to be language problems; the call centre staff don't seem to understand me and give me unreliable information that seems designed to get me off the line as quickly as possible (when I'm not cut off). The messaging service on their app is useless; it asks for information then loops. 

I'm really disappointed. I'd been told VM can be pretty appalling, but the order process went really well, the apps look sleek and the surveyor turned up on time and seemed very knowledgeable. 

I hope the desperate phone calls to my current phone line/ broadband supplier means I won't lose their service tomorrow. And I hope I'm eligible for compensation from VM, given I'm now on a rolling monthly contract from my current supplier that costs a fortune. 

Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Do I just sit back and let nature take its course, or should I be chasing this up? I'd really like the service so if it does finally get installed is it worth the wait?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AntVM

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to our community. Apologies that you have had your installation delayed. We understand the frustration caused. It may be that we have come across something that may need construction work before you can get installed.

As you have not heard anything back I will pop you over a private message so I can take a look in to this for you.

Click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Many thanks Jodi.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

SBooton
On our wavelength

Green = construction issue.

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AntVM,

We'd usually expect this to be with you within a week of it being processed.

Thanks,

Rachael

35 REPLIES 35

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi AntVM

Thanks for posting and a warm welcome to our community. Apologies that you have had your installation delayed. We understand the frustration caused. It may be that we have come across something that may need construction work before you can get installed.

As you have not heard anything back I will pop you over a private message so I can take a look in to this for you.

Click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Many thanks Jodi.

AntVM
On our wavelength

Thanks Jodi 

I've replied to your private message, and can also see some green marks on the road outside our property where the cable is/should be. I don't think the surveyor painted those when he was there last Monday, but I'm not sure. 

SBooton
On our wavelength

Green = construction issue.

AntVM
On our wavelength

Thanks. Jodi has confirmed there's a construction issue so I'll wait to hear more.

We lack a plastic plate at the end of the cable run in the road that leads to our house. Our neighbours all have similar cable runs but theirs all have the plastic plate. Maybe installing that plastic plate requires Local Authority permission. 

AntVM
On our wavelength

I'm concerned that my original order number has disappeared from my account, and has been replaced by a new one. Does anyone know why that might happen? As far as I'm concerned I've only ordered once, and I have no knowledge of that order being cancelled. 

AntVM
On our wavelength

Drat. When I finally manage to get through to the pre-install team to discuss the delay, I get cut off. It's happened a few times now. I guess patience is a virtue.

At least I managed to find out, on my last call, that installation will probably be in another 3-5 weeks. But I didn't manage to get an answer to my question of  what happens if it coincides with our October holiday. I really really want to be here when they start digging up the front garden (which is what I'm told they'll do, whether I'm here or not).

Any advice on whether, if it hasn't happened before we go away, we can phone the pre-install team to make sure it doesn't happen while we're away? And is there a better way to contact them than having to ring the main number (0345 454111), go through all the security questions, then be put on hold and have to go through security again when I'm transferred to pre-install? The person I spoke to today said I have to go through that process, and that there's no direct line to pre-install. But it's such a waste of my time when I know who I need to speak to. 

Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AntVM,

I'm really sorry that you've been experiencing a delay to your installation and have struggled to pin down further information.

I appreciate that you've spoken to the team to discuss the latest updates, so there's not much more information I can provide. However, I'd like to provide the direct line for our construction team so you can speak with them directly regarding the work which is awaiting completion.

You can reach them on 03330005925 and they should be able to provide you with the most up-to-date information regarding any requested or scheduled work.

Thanks,

Rachael

AntVM
On our wavelength

And ... still waiting. Have heard nothing. When I call I'm put on the long hold and I've not managed to speak to anyone. Obviously I, as a paying customer, am supposed to dedicate hours of my time calling for updates, as Virgin don't have the basic courtesy to keep me informed. 

I understand if I cancel before installation I can get my £5 a day compensation paid to me in cash, rather than as a statement credit? It's already a significant amount so maybe I should just take it as compensation for the endless phone calls and the stress of dealing with a dysfunctional organisation who have no manners, and save myself the hassle.  We're so worried they'll turn up when we're not there and dig up the front garden without discussing it with us. 

Good Afternoon AntVM,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're still awaiting your installation.

I would have to advise that if a customer were to cancel the installation of the services the £5.00 compensation offer would be void. The auto compensation scheme that Ofcom have enforced on Virgin Media and other telecommunication companies only applies as a crediting on the bill and is not issued in monetary form 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn