cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation date pushed back 3 times

milanovia
Joining in

Hi there,

I first ordered Virgin Media 500mb for my new flat back in May 28th. My initial installation date was 22/06/2021, at the time they said they would try and get it installed earlier. It was then rescheduled to 16/07/2021 and I was told there would be no rescheduling again. It has now been rescheduled for 07/08/2021.

The issue is that they are not receiving a permit for the external work apparently. I really have no idea what I'm supposed to do in this situation. I've moved into a flat and have had no wi-fi for 2 months, I have spent a fortune on 4G data trying to work from home.

It is like hot potato with the customer service, when I contact them they blame it on the external company and transfer me to the external company, I then have to leave a message with them and they don't get back to me.

Is this a usual customer experience with Virgin? Honestly it feels like I will keep being rescheduled and rescheduled unless there is an intervention.

Sorry to be a little moaning murtle but it is genuinely quite a stressful situation, I am slipping behind on my work and have terrible connection on Teams etc due to using my 4G.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

In terms of is this a usual customer experience, I'm afraid so, due to VM's shambolic processes and poor communication, and that's being made worse (I suspect but can't prove) by labour shortages for duct layers and cable pullers. 

When installed, and so long as it works properly, reliably, and the billing is correct, then VM offer an excellent service (although the hub's wifi is often a deep disappointment).  Unfortunately, if anything requires you to speak with the company, then you're doomed.   Perhaps not 100% doomed, maybe just 80% probability.

The installation may go ahead on the revised date, but it may get pushed back again.  Perhaps time to consider what options there are from Openreach ISPs.

@Andrew-G wrote:

snip ….

Unfortunately, if anything requires you to speak with the company, then you're doomed.   Perhaps not 100% doomed, maybe just 80% 

….. snip

Unusually optimistic for you Andrew!

@milanovia Personally, I’d work on the basis that VM don’t really won’t your custom or money and start looking at alternatives.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 Unusually optimistic for you Andrew!

Alright, poetic licence!  In this help forum we don't see the thousands of customer service requests that get fixed first time.  I'll say it again, when the service works it is excellent, the majority of customers have no cause for complaint, and the staff in this forum do a great job of helping customers. 

The company however lets itself down because it is simply focused on sales and marketing to the expense of all else, and despite having metrics on customer service it simply doesn't understand the concept of good service (hence the poor telephony experience, or the miserable communication around pre-install or utilisation faults).  To avoid Ofcom criticism of average response times, calls are on average picked up in a few minutes, but then routinely passed around, fobbed off, disconnected, or made to wait in secondary call queues.   Or as another example, the company fishing for positive reviews on Trustpilot.  If you look at the Trustpilot "transparency" details you can see how VM did a pilot in March, thought that a great success, and seem to have been doing this routinely since June (message to VM - you thought nobody would notice?  Ha!).  That action has greatly improved the average score and very quickly, but now shows ten times as many poor reviews each month as before they started trying to manipulate the scores.  The company use sampled Net Promoter Score where customers get invited to give a rating from a sample that is inherently biased towards successful outcomes, and then prattle in investor communications about "best ever customer service".  That's what success looks like for VM, rather than listening to the stories of poor customer experience, and changing the corporate attitudes, processes, systems and people to give better service. 

I spend a third as much on car insurance as I do with VM, yet my insurer (big shout for Privilege Insurance here) have fast call response times, are quick and efficient in handling calls, they have good online account management capabilities, and their UK staff are friendly, professional, helpful and well trained.  Obviously every customer needs to consider the premium they'd be quoted, and they won't always be best value for everybody but I'd give Privilege an unqualified recommendation.  Don't get me wrong, things can go wrong at Privilege - but getting them put right is a quick and pleasant experience.  None of those are the sort of words normally associated with Virgin Media.

Glad to get that off my chest.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @milanovia,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

It's really disappointing to hear of the delays to your installation, it's certainly not the experience we want for any of our customers.

Our Pre-Install team will be able to help further with this on 0800 052 1734, as they will have further information about your install and at what stage its at.

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for this number. It's unclear to me when listening to the options on that number which one is needed. There's no option to speak about an upcoming installation...

Thanks for your reply, milanovia, there should be a zero option for anything else.

Cheers,

Corey C

Well I spoke to the pre-install team and actually someone was very helpful.

He informed me that we approved the permit for traffic management and now this week the external work should be carried out. Apparently, this permit had previously not been granted in time...progress?

The external work contractors are now trying to agree a date in order to carry out the works. So the installation is supposed be this Saturday.

That means there are 3 days left for the external works to be completed. I feel like I have no control over this and just have to sit and hope again. Having spoken to our council about this dilemma, they are perplexed pretty much at what I'm even asking.

Is there anything I can do to try and make sure this time it happens?

Hi Milanovia,

Thanks for your reply, I am glad the pre-installation team managed to give you some helpful information. Although I understand it's little too late when an installation gets pushed back like this, I do apologise for that. 

In these situations it can be frustrating for us as well as yourself as we're needing to work with 3rd party bodies that are outside of our company, if these bodies take their time with giving us authorisation it can cause the construction to be pushed back - much like your situation.

From the sound of it though, it seems the team have finally got the nod that they needed and work should be starting this weekend. 

If this does not happen this weekend, please let us know so that we can try to help in anyway we can - it may mean creating an install complaint but we can help write that up for you before sending it off to the install team to handle. 

Once again, I am sorry that this has taken so much time Milanovia. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

Z92
Trouble shooter

Since it's a third party you are dealing with you can't guarantee anything, you can only hope. It may or may not happen.

What you can do is check the ONE network: one.network to check for planned working in your area.