Menu
ramman
Tuning in
Message 11 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation What to Expect

After 22 days of waiting from my initial install date (12th of December), the cable repull team finally arrived...

and about 2 minutes after arriving they told me that there was no visible entry point and so they would call construction.

Not really understanding the timeframe of that, I rang VM after they left, not once but three times asking when this construction would happen and each person told me that the repull was due today, don't worry, they can come back anytime between now and 6pm (yes I even told them the team had already been once and left).

Obviously nobody showed up again.

Ringing VM after 6pm I was told that the construction would take place on the 2nd of February and that they would also have to move my install date to the 5th of February.

I'm almost in awe at VM's utter incompetence.

VM had already sent out the initial engineer and had 22 days to find out that there was no entry point. Not only that but I made numerous calls asking if any construction or planning permission would be needed and each and every time I was told that there would be no problem. How is it that a company of this size fails to do the most basic checks before making arrangements and promises even after being prompted?

Right now I'm seriously considering sacking the whole thing off, going with plusnet instead, and advising everyone I know against using VM.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 12 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi ramman,
Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post. I can only apologise that you've had a less than perfect journey since joining so far. Smiley Sad 
It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can. 
I'll be happy to take a look at where things stand currently to ensure you've got the latest update.
I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ramman
Tuning in
Message 13 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Kath_F wrote:

Hi ramman,
Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post...Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Speak soon,

Hi Kath_F, I appreciate you responding to my post and your offer to look into this.

@Kath_F wrote:
you've had a less than perfect journey since joining so far. Smiley Sad  

The whole experience has been nothing but frustrating before I even have the service.

1. Why does the site let you place an order and give you an exact install date if it not only has no idea if the install can succeed but also doesn't bother to check prior to that install date?
  2. Why didn't the first engineer perform checks to ensure that the second install didn't fail? I would have expected that at least at that point it would have been noticed that construction is needed.
  3. Why is customer support giving incorrect information? I specifically asked if planning permission/construction would be necessary, the truthful answer would have been "we don't know" whereas I was told it would be "no problem" several times. I also learned that if I hadn't rang after the second failed install not only would a third set of engineers have been sent to "finish" it (and failed), but billing would have also started.

@Kath_F wrote:
It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can

I would appreciate in seeing that because even if construction/install succeeds on the new dates I've been given (not at all confident), that would make a 2 month delay now. Another thing is we really shouldn't have to rely on these forums as the best source of information, but at the moment they've been much more useful than customer support.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 14 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi ramman, 

I have sent you another private message to discuss things further. 

I won't be replying publicly to this as my replies will involve account specific information and therefore can't and shouldn't be in a public space Smiley Happy 

I look forward to hearing back from you shortly. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
ramman
Tuning in
Message 15 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@ramman wrote:
I would appreciate in seeing that because even if construction/install succeeds on the new dates I've been given (not at all confident), that would make a 2 month delay now.

This is now 56 days since my original install date (12th of December). The third engineer turned up and said he was "surprised" that construction hadn't already arrived/started and that they could arrive during the afternoon, before leaving he said he would return later (presumably assuming construction would be done by then).

By about 4pm nobody had arrived or tried to contact me so I rang the customer success team and asked what's happening. Only to be told that it "couldn't be done today" and that there was nothing they could do other than reschedule!

I'm not even surprised this time (as you can see from my quote). I started this thread genuinely optimistic and Virgin have managed to turn me into a complete pessimist.

Their pre-install service really is a joke and utterly shambolic.

They've had another month to honour their 3rd promised date and still failed to deliver without any communication up to this point that it might not happen.

They did at least acknowledge my previous complaint and the current delay and said that although normally they would pick the next slot, they would escalate and make my order a priority. Although they could/would not give me an exact date, they did say that somebody would contact me within 48 hours.

Just to note as well, the engineers and phone staff have been polite enough and although lacking in accurate information I'd like to believe the blame is largely due to terrible management and planning. I mean how can construction not happen on the given date? Presumably Virgin contract the work out, so did they just not order it and still give me a date? It's not like there's been a blizzard or some sort of catastrophe that would stop them...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi there ramman

Thank you for posting on our community forum pages.

We are sorry to hear about the delays in completing the installation. We appreciate that this is frustrating and we apologise for this disappointing start to your time with us. We are also sorry for any lack of communication in this situation. 

We will always work to complete all installations as efficiently as possible. There may be situations when this can be delayed, for example if we need to carry out additional work prior to the installation taking place. If a delay is experienced we will do all we can to arrange for another appointment as close to the original date as we can. 

We are confident that our team will be doing everything possible to install your new services as soon as they can. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
ramman
Tuning in
Message 17 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@David_Pn wrote:

We will always work to complete all installations as efficiently as possible. There may be situations when this can be delayed, for example if we need to carry out additional work prior to the installation taking place.

I could understand if there was some work that needed to be done before installation, but let me emphasise that no work has been done at all.

@David_Pn wrote:

If a delay is experienced we will do all we can to arrange for another appointment as close to the original date as we can.

Again the original date was 56 days ago (12th of December), and who knows when my next date will be...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Have you been in touch with our complaint team regarding this, if so what was their last update? If you have been in touch with them and haven't heard back then I'd advise getting back in touch so they can assist further. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
ramman
Tuning in
Message 19 of 27
Flag for a moderator

@Emma_C wrote:

Have you been in touch with our complaint team regarding this, if so what was their last update? If you have been in touch with them and haven't heard back then I'd advise getting back in touch so they can assist further. 

Yes and they already applied an "apology credit" to my account of £60. Now don't get me wrong, on the surface that's decent compensation. Until I realised at the time they had an offer open to new customers equal in value to my "apology credit" i.e. I originally signed up for £42 per month whereas their offer to new customers at the time was £37 per month. I don't see how adjusting my offer to match that of a new customer is an apology given I am essentially still a new customer (I've yet to use the service).

This is now 74 days since my original install date (12th of December). The 4th set of engineers turned up today and quickly realised that the install was not possible. I was left a phone message

"We've just had word in this morning that unfortunately we're not going to be able to complete your install today, we have no track outside your property where we can bring a cable through, this requires another firm to come in to dig a whole section of road out, and the SLA of this is between 6-8 weeks."

So now I'm being told the work could take an additional 2 months? (which would make ~136 days since my original date + time to actually finish the install). How is it possible this wasn't already known or at least noticed by the 3 other sets of engineers? It's completely ridiculous that the pre-install service is managed this badly. Speaking to the preinstall team prior to this

• I was assured that all construction work had been completed
  • I was guaranteed that I would be installed today

In other words, I was lied to by Virgin's phone representatives.

Kudos to the engineers at least who were happy to have a chat with me and explain the situation. I got much more from that 5 minute chat than all the time I've spent talking to the preinstall team. I don't think any of the blame lies with the engineers.

What I learned from them was that they suspect the tracking and access ends 2 houses down from me, and that it would need to be extended to reach me (unless I ask my neighbours really really nicely to let me run a cable across their properties). Also Virgin would probably extend the tracking faster if there's more demand (i.e. get my neighbours in the other direction interested).

If Virgin had done their due dilligence from the beginning and realised and communicated that this was the situation then we could have avoided so much wasted time and frustration. If I was this bad at my job I would have been fired already, especially after 4 failed attempts.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 20 of 27
Flag for a moderator

Hi ramman,

I am sorry to hear that you're currently still experiencing issues with your installation. When you spoke to the engineers did they advise what to expect regarding the next steps with your installation? Have you spoken to the installation team yet about the scheduling for the additional construction work that needs to take place?

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos