cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Visit

dpt2012
Joining in

Good morning,

I have an engineer booked for 4/12/21 for an installation. I know for definite that there is no cable running from box at the bottom of the garden to the house as it was damaged many years ago by a contractor and removed when a patio was being laid in the garden. Will the engineer lay a new cable on the day or is this something I need to contact virgin about before installation day?

Kind Regards

Dave

2 REPLIES 2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Impossible for anyone to give you a clear and reliable answer as there are a large number of possible outcomes, some of which may be specific to you/your property

If VM have you listed as a previously-connected property, it is likely they will assume a cable is ready and waiting for them to connect to. Installations of new cables are typically carried out by external contractors.

Is any of the old cable still in place and visible/accessible anywhere? Sometimes a VM tech may use a junction box to join onto a broken cable to get you working initially with a view to installing a new cable later on. What sort of distance is involved to do such a temporary kind of repair if it was possible?

Be aware though that VM seem to be have some frequent difficulties installing new cables for some customers at the moment, with long delays in some cases (as evidenced by the many topics about it on this forum).

If you still have a working broadband service from another provider, you should consider keeping that going until such time as VM is up and running to your satisfaction. It may involve overlapping payments for two providers for a month or so but should avoid you being left with no broadband should the matter of the broken VM cable prove to be an obstacle to installation.

One of the VM forum team should reply in a day or two and may be able to add more to help you.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @dpt2012

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. Really sorry for the delayed reply. They more than likely would do a new cable. However, to hopefully rule out any delays, I'll send a PM, get your details and speak to the field team about this.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill