Menu
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Installation Question

Hello,

I live in a three storey house and currently the Virgin Superhub 3 is installed on the ground floor. My PC is installed in my office on the first floor. I'd like to get a wired connection between the Superhub 3 and my PC. The distance between the two items makes this task a bit of a challenge. The first floor; however, has a Virgin Media wall socket which is more or less identical to the one on the ground floor (see pictures below). Would an engineer be able to setup my router on the first floor using this wall socket?

20190710_132707584_iOS.jpgFirst Floor Virgin Wall Socket

20190710_132757445_iOS.jpgGround Floor Wall Socket

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Question

Short answer is yes - but just try plugging the Hub into the other socket and see if it works first.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

Short answer is yes - but just try plugging the Hub into the other socket and see if it works first.

I have tried to move the broadband equipment without success. The result seems to indicate that either an engineer is needed to setup the Virgin wall socket to work or that it is not meant for broadband purposes. That is, in part, why I am asking someone who might be able to shed some light on the matter.

0 Kudos
EightBall
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Most technicians will disconnect unused components at your home during a normal install service call so it makes sense that if it wasn't it use, it isn't connected. 

Providing that the cabling that feeds your upstairs outlet is still intact, a tech will be able to have it up and running in no time. 

chenks
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

obvious question, but is there anything actually wired up behind that upstairs socket?
unscrew the front cover and see if there is actually any wire behind it.
0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:
obvious question, but is there anything actually wired up behind that upstairs socket?
unscrew the front cover and see if there is actually any wire behind it.

It would be strange if they installed a Virgin Media wall socket without wiring, but it seems like everything is in fact intact behind the cover and ,judging by the amount of dust, was done fairly recently From my understanding the box (TRIS-1002AEN) underneath the wiring is an isolator.

20190711_192304163_iOS.jpgBehind the Virgin Media wall socket

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If all looks fine inside the termination box then trace the cable back to the splitter which will be either inside or outside the property. It's possible that the cable has been damaged or not properly connected to the splitter.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

If all looks fine inside the termination box then trace the cable back to the splitter which will be either inside or outside the property. It's possible that the cable has been damaged or not properly connected to the splitter.

That, my friend, is the technician's problem once they come.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Blitzbok wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

but could easily be something you can fix yourself very quickly.
or you could wait ages for an engineer.

your call.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Blitzbok
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@chenks wrote:

@Blitzbok wrote:

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

but could easily be something you can fix yourself very quickly.
or you could wait ages for an engineer.

your call.

Your assumption that I’ll be waiting ages for an engineer is wrong. Engineer is coming out today. Thanks for trying to be helpful though.

0 Kudos