cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Issues

Purplebeats
Joining in

I ordered and had a pre install date of 22nd October and and install date of 27th October. 
both have now disappeared from my orders and have been told extra construction work is required. It has been passed onto the wayleave team to gain permission from neighbours/council which apparently can take up to 6-8 weeks. 
we are moving into the property on Saturday so it is not like we have an existing internet connection that we can use. 
I was told to speak to the pre install team to sort out a free portable hub or dongle but I’m either fobbed off with no we can’t do that or hung up on!

We don’t really want to go with another provider because the speed is much lower with them, but we can’t be without internet for 8 weeks!

Does anyone have any suggestions or help on how to get things resolved quickly?

2 REPLIES 2

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If VM simply need a local authority permit, that takes a couple of days.  Obtaining a wayleave to cross land other than the public highway is a more complicated process, and can indeed take weeks like anything that involves lawyers.

VM also have been having sometimes protracted problems with new installations that have nothing to do with permits or wayleaves, with repeatedly missed construction and installation dates, sometimes taking as long as four months.  More worryingly, on a small number of instances, VM prevaricate and piffle for months before deciding that the property is "not serviceable".  Attempts to short circuit all that have generally been reported as unsuccessful, because VM's internal systems and bureaucracy appear designed to prevent anybody taking ownership or using their initiative.  Whilst 4G dongles are often promised, it seems they are promised a lot more often than actually delivered - do not rely on promises. 

My suggestion is that you sign up an Openreach ISP with a 30 day rolling contract, but don't cancel the VM installation.  If VM pull a rabbit out of the hat in the next few weeks you can cancel the Openreach connection without cost under cooling off rights.  If VM don't manage to give clear confidence and get you connected you can use the Openreach line for however long it takes VM.  If VM decide they can't install at the property, then as you've only got 30 days notice you can then review the Openreach ISP situation to see if longer contracts make better sense.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Purplebeats,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the delay with the installation.

We will be waiting for an update on this permit, we need this before we can do the installation as explained by @andrew_g.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide