cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Delayed twice

scirish
Tuning in

My installation was supposed to occur on the 16th of July, on the 15th I was told that it would be delayed until the 3rd of August. I have now been told it has been delayed till the 21st of August.

Virgin has given me no clear reason of why it is delayed except for a vague "outside work needs to be done"; but not what that work is or when it will be done.

By the 21st it will have been over a month since the installation was supposed to happen and I have no internet as a result at the moment.

I would like clarity on what the actual reason for the delay is, and whether it is going to be delayed again since I am not hopeful considering the service provided so far.

14 REPLIES 14

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Do you actually have a VM cable to your home at the moment? If not, then that is what the 'outside work' would be, bringing a cable from the street cabinet to your property.

You will find in this 'QuickStart' forum umpteen recent topics from people waiting with delayed installations which just keep getting moved further into the future.

It is doubtful you will get a straight and reliable answer from anyone at VM on when your installation will happen, so regard any dates you might be given as estimates only.

I am unsure, I live in a block of flats and I am unsure how to check if a cable is present

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Hopefully they'll turn up and all will be well.  However, to protect your interests you may wish to consider the possibility that it could be deferred again (and again), and the further possibility that when the pre-install team do eventually arrive, they may find an obstruction, blockage or access permission problem that makes connecting you uneconomic for VM, in which case your install, and your order will be cancelled.

Given that possibility of further delays or cancellation by VM, does that make a difference to what you would do now?  If you're living with an adequate "backup option" of surviving on mobile date, you might choose to sit it out.  Alternatively you might want to avoid further problems with VM, cancel the order and get an Openreach connection back on.

VM have some attractive new customer offers; Speeds are for most customers high, and consistently delivered.  Wireless capabilities of the hubs are mediocre, but adequate for undemanding circumstances.  But when any thing happens that requires contact with the company, or the company makes promises that "event X will happen by date Y", the customer experience is often exceptionally disappointing, and putting things right can sometimes take months.  Make any decision wisely.

Hi Scrirish,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forums.

I'm so sorry to hear that your installation has been delayed two times, I can certainly appreciate your frustration.

I'm going to pop you over a PM so I can look into your account for you and hopefully shed some light as to what's going on and what work is required externally before the installation can go ahead.

Please look out for the purple envelope for a message from me.

Thanks

Beth

Beth

scirish
Tuning in

It has now been delayed a 3rd time, until the 8th of September. I have now been without broadband since the 16th July.

They will not give me any information about why this is the case, and instead transfer me to other people who know nothing about the situation 

virgin media claim that they will pay you £5 a day but will dodge the question when asked about it.

This level of service is ridiculous from a company as large as virgin, and I have never had issues like this with other providers in the past.

All I want to know is why it’s being delayed but nobody will give me an answer 

Is there an email address I can contact to get more information about the delays?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi scirish,

Sorry to see this is still dragging on for you.

Have you managed to speak to the pre-installation and delivery team on 0800 052 1734? 

They may be able to provide details of the delays such as a blockage, or needing council permission to dig up a road etc.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi scirish,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, we are sorry to hear about the further delay in your installation, what was advised when you called our pre-install team?

Regards

Paul.

Last time I contacted them prior to the latest delay, they told me that there was no reason they could see for there to be another delay; which was obviously not true