cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Date is Delayed since 30th June - Am I due Compensation?

findmak
Joining in

Hi, 

I had a booked broadband installation date on the 30th June

When the engineer came he said a cable needed to be added from outside, so work needed to be carried out before he can install.

Then I had a message that the installation will happen on the 14th July, then on the 12th July evening I got a message this is changing to the 31st July as they need to do some more work first.

Am I entitled to compensation as now I will be without broadband at the property for over 1 month.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@nodrogd Also any work involving a third party (construction team, local authority work permit aquisition) is outside their control, so is exempt under the automatic compenstaion scheme.

That's not quite what the linked info says.  Construction team delays are FULLY within VM's control, as is the condition of ducts and local cabling.  If VM don't keep their ducts tidy and clear of redundant cables, that's not a new customer's problem, nor are any problems in contractor scheduling or communications.  What is excluded is delays down to factors genuinely outside of the company's control such as landlord or HMO approvals, or LA streetworks permits.  However, the need for any local authority permit is business as usual and should be allowed for in any installation, added to which I'd also observe that in instances where customers have been told of LA caused delays and then checked, it has been the case that VM had either not asked for the permit, or had asked it and it had quickly been issued.  In the normal run of things, streetworks permits are issued promptly, and the perception of councils taking months to do this is not representative, but is often a convenient fiction for certain inefficient companies.

My personal view is that VM's auto compensation scheme is anything but automatic, and that @findmak will automatically get nothing.  That doesn't mean you can't get compensation, but you may have to do some work and it will take some time, and it will only be credited once you are connected. It'll also be made more challenging because VM's pre-installation process is diabolical, and the chances of actually being able to speak to anybody who both knows the facts and will tell them to you are very low indeed. 

So for the time being, you're stuck.  When you're connected, raise a formal complaint if you can't see a delayed install credit on your account, asking for £5.04 per day (per Ofcom rules) between the 30th June and whenever they get it sorted.  Maybe that will get a result, personally I'd say expect this to be fobbed off with a truly crap cut'n'paste response.  In which case you could check with the LA if a streetworks permit was requested at your address, and if so on what date it was requested and what date it was issued.  Likewise, if this is a rented house, check with the landlord if permission was delayed (normally you'd have requested this permission, not VM, so you should know).  If it does turn out the delays were entirely or largely down to the LA or landlord, then you get nothing, and that's the end of the matter.  If the delays were not down to those external factors, but the complaint is still fobbed off, then you escalate the complaint to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, asking for delayed installation compensation, plus compensation for the poorly handled complaint and the hassle of having to take the matter to arbitration.  If you need to go to CISAS, under the scheme rules you either have to wait eight weeks since the complaint was submitted to VM, or you don't need to wait if you can get VM to quickly issue a deadlock letter saying that they can't agree to your requested resolution.

Sounds a lot of hassle, on the other hand £5.04 per day soon mounts up, and if you need to escalate there should be a modest additional compensation element on top.  Obviously if VM don't want these sort of outcomes then they could do proper pre-install checks, and give the customer an accurate installation date.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Compensation is dependent on VM knowing at the time you placed the order that there were issues with the underground ducting that would stop you getting a service. 9 times out of 10 this is not the case, as it is only when a cable pull attempt is made that the blockage is found.

Also any work involving a third party (construction team, local authority work permit aquisition) is outside their control, so is exempt under the automatic compenstaion scheme.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation 

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@nodrogd Also any work involving a third party (construction team, local authority work permit aquisition) is outside their control, so is exempt under the automatic compenstaion scheme.

That's not quite what the linked info says.  Construction team delays are FULLY within VM's control, as is the condition of ducts and local cabling.  If VM don't keep their ducts tidy and clear of redundant cables, that's not a new customer's problem, nor are any problems in contractor scheduling or communications.  What is excluded is delays down to factors genuinely outside of the company's control such as landlord or HMO approvals, or LA streetworks permits.  However, the need for any local authority permit is business as usual and should be allowed for in any installation, added to which I'd also observe that in instances where customers have been told of LA caused delays and then checked, it has been the case that VM had either not asked for the permit, or had asked it and it had quickly been issued.  In the normal run of things, streetworks permits are issued promptly, and the perception of councils taking months to do this is not representative, but is often a convenient fiction for certain inefficient companies.

My personal view is that VM's auto compensation scheme is anything but automatic, and that @findmak will automatically get nothing.  That doesn't mean you can't get compensation, but you may have to do some work and it will take some time, and it will only be credited once you are connected. It'll also be made more challenging because VM's pre-installation process is diabolical, and the chances of actually being able to speak to anybody who both knows the facts and will tell them to you are very low indeed. 

So for the time being, you're stuck.  When you're connected, raise a formal complaint if you can't see a delayed install credit on your account, asking for £5.04 per day (per Ofcom rules) between the 30th June and whenever they get it sorted.  Maybe that will get a result, personally I'd say expect this to be fobbed off with a truly crap cut'n'paste response.  In which case you could check with the LA if a streetworks permit was requested at your address, and if so on what date it was requested and what date it was issued.  Likewise, if this is a rented house, check with the landlord if permission was delayed (normally you'd have requested this permission, not VM, so you should know).  If it does turn out the delays were entirely or largely down to the LA or landlord, then you get nothing, and that's the end of the matter.  If the delays were not down to those external factors, but the complaint is still fobbed off, then you escalate the complaint to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS, asking for delayed installation compensation, plus compensation for the poorly handled complaint and the hassle of having to take the matter to arbitration.  If you need to go to CISAS, under the scheme rules you either have to wait eight weeks since the complaint was submitted to VM, or you don't need to wait if you can get VM to quickly issue a deadlock letter saying that they can't agree to your requested resolution.

Sounds a lot of hassle, on the other hand £5.04 per day soon mounts up, and if you need to escalate there should be a modest additional compensation element on top.  Obviously if VM don't want these sort of outcomes then they could do proper pre-install checks, and give the customer an accurate installation date.

@Andrew-G Thanks for your reply. I will sit tight for now and wait till I get installed then.

I tried to raise a complaint yesterday and I was told a manager would ring back in 2 hours, but that didn't happen either.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

"A manager will ring you back" is a favourite response from an agent who merely wants to end a call they can't or don't want to handle.  They do very, very occasionally occur, but I'm guessing that only applies to around 1% of promised callbacks. 

If you wait until you're connected, then you can create a My Virgin media account, that'll allow you to view your account and see (a) whether the bundle and price you think you agreed to have been applied, (b) if the "automatic" compensation has been applied, and (c) if it hasn't there's an online complaints form so you don't have to deal with the poor telephone service and try and pass a complex message to somebody whose first language isn't English.

Thanks, will wait for it to be setup, when I asked them about automatic compensation on the call they said you are not eligible as you are not a customer, which doesn't make sense.

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@findmak wrote:

Thanks, will wait for it to be setup, when I asked them about automatic compensation on the call they said you are not eligible as you are not a customer, which doesn't make sense.

Welcome to VM's top quality customer service.  Best to ignore many of the things that VM customer service agents say, they're provided by an outsource contractor (Tech Mahindra, I think) who pay particularly low wages even by Indian standards.  

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @findmak

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 🙂

I'm so sorry to hear your install has been delayed, I can appreciate how frustrating this is and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

I've managed to locate your account and I can see the install was delayed due to a construction issue and that we've sent out confirmation of the dates the install will be taking place, is that correct? 

I can also see you've raised a complaint in regard to the compensation, our complaints team will review your case and get back to you with a resolution as quickly as possible. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide