cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install - underground from manhole

FlightFall
Tuning in

I have just signed up and spent 30 minutes of my time (unsuccessfully) trying to get information from the pre-install team as to whether I needed a pre-install visit to get Virgin cables underground from the CAT manhole into my property.

The CAT manhole used to be in front of a garden wall (and I understand cables would normally be drilled through the front garden wall to access the property).

Because I am creating a driveway and have demolished the garden wall, the Virgin cables need to go underground from the CAT manhole into my property.

Has anyone done this? Is this done by the regular engineer on their first visit?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They drill from the "manhole" downwards into your property boundary then dig a trench to your home

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

They drill from the "manhole" downwards into your property boundary then dig a trench to your home

That's great - thanks - as I already have the trench so they just need to dig about 1 metre from their manhole to my trench.

I just didn't think that the engineer would be able to do any groundworks...

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The guys who bring the cable have a 36v drill, it's really powerful and will bring the cable to your home before the inside technician arrives to do the housework 

Thanks jb66 - and these 2 people (the cable puller and the 'inside' technician) both arrive on the single date that I've been given for the engineer visit?

There are CATV pavement covers and typically pavement Tees to which the coaxial cables are pulled through (in legacy HFC areas). The cable is usually in a conduit and shallow-buried. It's best to be in attendance when this is being done.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The installation may happen on one day, but the external cable pull team often complete their work some days beforehand. Unfortunately you do not get informed when the external team will come as they do not need access inside your property.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

If the chamber in the pavement isn't built to handle vehicles driving over it then the council won't do you a drop kerb until you've paid an excruciating amount of money to VM to rebuild the chamber.

Do you mean CATV manhole or do you mean the little black toby box thing?

Interesting point on the chamber - I wonder how I get them to upgrade the chamber - I don't mind paying to get it done properly but I spent a frustrating 30 minutes with the pre-install team who didn't seem to understand my question. 

I will try them again on Monday,

thanks!

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @FlightFall

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Let us know how you get on after speaking with the Pre-Install team - I'd love to be able to advise further but we're not trained around the install processes / how they would cable up the property.

My apologies.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs