Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Initial thoughts on virgin media

Hi, we had virgin media install on Friday and i thought i would share a few initial thoughts,

• install went well, but only have v5 box no v6, being sorted
  • wifi security is poor, all my kit reports it as weak, this is 2020 not a great impression
  • virgin web site very poor security, I can’t use auto generated passwords and whats with a secret password for telephone support, it feels like the 1990’s, why no two factor authentication?
  • modem three wifi range is appalling, my previous bt hub covered the full house from the same location, now i just get one room, being sorted with a booster
  • tv epg is horrible, poor  descriptions of programs, programs cut off while still recording
  • tv5 box is plastic and massive
  • remote is horrible
  • can’t set up my av control, try to select bose and get an error
  • no UHD channels

we have the max package  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Initial thoughts on virgin media

If you are not happy use the 14 Day 'Get Out of Gaol Free Card'.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

sounds like you should cancel in your 14 day cooling off and move to someone that fits the needs better. if you don't do it now you'll be stuck with the services for 18 months

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The cost saving makes it a viable option, but honestly i’m shocked at the poor security and poor range, i’m just feeding back 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I doubt anyone that can make 'executive type decisions' actually cares or even reads these forums.

Once the VM Services are up and running they can be very, very good, you just have to put the time and effort into setting everything up to how you want it.

The Wi-Fi is known to be poor, a lot of people get upset because it isn't as good as BT or Sky, that may be the case but VM isn't BT or Sky.

Gaming is another problem area, the broadband does not lend itself to gaming due to the latency of the DOCSIS technology.

Customer Support (CS) by phone is very poor at the best of times and during this Covid-19 period it has gone down by several notches.

Customer Support (CS) on here is generally very good although it is averaging 6 to 7 days for one of the VM staff to pick up the thread at he moment.

Conclusion

Don't break it.

Get your own gigabit enabled Wi-Fi broadcasting equipment and enjoy the speeds on offer.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

You can fix the WiFi range and WiFi security by purchasing your own router if you can afford it. Disable WiFi on the virgin box and turn it into a modem. I wouldn't go down the booster route, they may work but really they are not ideal. 

You can get a basic WiFi for £50, and a really good WiFi for £100. No need to spend £300 on a "Gaming router". 

If you are on the max package you'll typically get a booster for free, but additional ones will cost you £36/year which you can put towards far superior equipment that you can take with you to your next provider. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

HHello

Regarding the weak security are by chance these Apple devices with the latest version of software, if so there is a fix for this have a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/iOS-14-Weak-Security/td-p/4410050

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am on the maxit package, but had to push for a free booster, it's helped but my outdoor cameras still can't see the wifi.  I suspect I will need a proper router, they still are to deliver the v6 tv boxes, they installed temporary v5 versions so on UHD currently. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

All my kit is Apple, 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

there is no such thing as a v5 tivo.
there is Tivo and Tivo V6

0 Kudos