cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Hub- Poor Customer Service!

kmhphotoman
Tuning in

Having signed up for the 1GB service I expected to receive a HUB 5 as per the contract but was sent a Hub 4.
I contacted Customer Service this morning and was told "They are in testing and only a few people have them to test and won't be available until the test is complete"
I explained that this was incorrect but she was adamant that only a few people have them.

After explaining that there are numerous post on the community dating back months about the pros and cons of the Hub 5 her story changed to "Can you check online to see what the stock levels are"?
I told her there is no way online that I can check the stock levels. I was then put on hold for a few minutes and on her return was told "I've arranged for one to be sent to you but can't say when"

I've been with VirginMedia for years and have never had cause to fault them other than their customer service.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@kmhphotoman wrote:

Then they should explain that from the outset.

I think you might have to complain, strongly

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-to-get-a-Hub-5/td-p/5232659

and also check the small-print of exactly what was advertised

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/HUB-5-Shortage-hit-ispReview/m-p/5240175#M6848...

Whether you actually get one, or not, may well be down to the random processes by which VM operates. How far you need to take it in the quest to get a Hub 5 is up to you.

Do have a good read though of other topics on here where customers report their experiences of using a Hub 5. There does seem to still be more than a few teething issues with it, which are being reported on the forums.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

17 REPLIES 17

Client62
Hero

This forum has been peppered with posts identical to yours for months

Hub5s are out of stock

@kmhphotoman wrote:

they are unlikely to know the stock levels of the hub5 - thats way above the pay grade of the muppets that are offshore support - even if they did they would not confirm they have non - thats not what they perceive you want to hear so they give you the info that closes the call with a positive result for them

hell you are only a paying customer - in VM's world does that matter - no!

Tony.
Sacked VIP

@kmhphotoman wrote:

I think you might have to complain, strongly

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-to-get-a-Hub-5/td-p/5232659

and also check the small-print of exactly what was advertised

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Community-Natter/HUB-5-Shortage-hit-ispReview/m-p/5240175#M6848...

Whether you actually get one, or not, may well be down to the random processes by which VM operates. How far you need to take it in the quest to get a Hub 5 is up to you.

Do have a good read though of other topics on here where customers report their experiences of using a Hub 5. There does seem to still be more than a few teething issues with it, which are being reported on the forums.

Thanks for the links.

They advertised a Hub 5, my contract and account details online state I have a Hub 5. I was never told there were issues with supply and it's so frustrating dealing with customer services who are either mislead by their management or incompetent.

Virgin are not very good communicators unfortunately which leads to a lot of complaints and frustration. If Virgin were just upfront and said that hub5's are in short supply and you may get a hub4 in the interim then most people would accept that. But, Virgin don't say that which leads to all these complaints.

@kmhphotoman wrote:

Thanks for the links.

They advertised a Hub 5, my contract and account details online state I have a Hub 5. I was never told there were issues with supply and it's so frustrating dealing with customer services who are either mislead by their management or incompetent.

You should scrutinise the material which VM provided when you signed up and see what exactly was said/advertised about the Hub 5 within the package.

IMO, if the Hub 5 was explicitly included as part of the package, that would be a material consideration for many when signing up for a certain VM package. The particular features of the Hub 5 mean that a Hub 4 would not be a comparable alternative device for some customers.

Supply chain issues with the Hub 5 have been a problem for a long while now. That seems to be at odds with the advertising code. 3.29 Marketers must monitor stocks. If a product becomes unavailable, marketers must, whenever possible, withdraw or amend marketing communications that feature that product.

They advertised a Hub 5 and my contract clearly states that I should have a Hub 5.  

@kmhphotoman wrote:

They advertised a Hub 5 and my contract clearly states that I should have a Hub 5.  

Depending on your motivation level to get a Hub 5, your options might include some/all of the following ...

Get back onto VM to complain you haven't received what you signed up for as per your package, demand a Hub 5 is provided
If you get one, all good, if you don't ...
Formal complaint process to VM >> Get fobbed off >> Deadlock letter or wait 8 weeks before ...
Complaint escalation to Ombudsman Services

and in parallel ...
Complaint to ASA if you believe the VM advertising for the package/Hub 5 offer was misleading

If needs be, invoke your 14 day cancellation rights (if applicable still within time) which would cancel your most recent VM package change back to whatever package you had before (assuming you were already a VM customer).