Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Import DHCP settings from old V3 hub to new V3 hub?

Renewed our virgin connection today witha new setup, old one was disconnected last month, so installed V3 hub, backed up setting of old Virgin box and tried to load it into new one (saved the default first) and I get "File not recognised" I've setup over 20 odd fixed IP's on the old hub, and don't fancy putting them all back in manually again. Pretty sure they are both running the same software, but even if they aren't isn't there is a simple way of backing up & reloading a DHCP list?

Any idea's of a solution?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Import DHCP settings from old V3 hub to new V3 hub?

The Hub backup files are not transferrable between Hubs.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike, I figured as much, amazing how technologically advanced we feel only to realise somethings are left in the dark ages.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You’re not actually using fixed IP address. What you are doing is using reserved IP address. What I always do is to use ‘proper’ fixed IP addresses in the actual devices. Yes, you have to keep a track of what you have done, but in the long run I have found it’s much better this way. DHCP ‘reserved IP addresses’ are often incorrectly called fixed IP addresses.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I do know they are reserved not fixed ip, excuse the turn of phrase but that wasn’t the point, good idea to use static IP’s in the devices, I already use some for a subnet of audio network controllers, however I don’t understand how you can have set a static iP in certain devices that don’t have settings access? Eg Harmony hub, Alexa etc
Do keep the ip’s in the DHCP range?
Been meaning to dump the hub DHCP and put in a proper router for years, I always think of fixed ip’s as something the ISP provides, we pay for a business one.
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately you are right about some devices, I have things like Sonoff switches, thermometer, scales etc that don’t allow it. Although I have home brew firmware in the Sonoff switches and am looking at amending it for fixes IP addresses. The router I use, Ubiquiti USG Pro 4, lets you put the reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP pool. I cannot let you know for ‘retail’ type routers as I have always used high end ones.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Tudor wrote:

<snip> The router I use, Ubiquiti USG Pro 4, lets you put the reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP pool. I cannot let you know for ‘retail’ type routers as I have always used high end ones.

My Draytek retail router allows the same 🙂

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

The Hub backup files are not transferrable between Hubs.

Not really accurate! ...... There’s no official (Publically published) “parser” tween various firmware levels across same/incrementall hardware platforms - I can’t elaborate further as I am “persona non grata”(from VM management POV) and thus categorized as “Variably Intolerant Poster” (after a decade as Community Ambassador/SuperUser”)....... 😛

I applaud your own (and JBrennand.......Dexter’s, Legacie’s) Attempts to Assist the community but regrettably you Are all Somewhat Gullible/naive.....  And VM will not allow me to elaborate further without removing my access to these forums.

By all means PM/DM me (Any one else I’ll ignore) and there will invariably be a delay..... of 2-4weeks For reply......Sorry.....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Funny old thing but back in mid September an old workmate of mine backed up his Hub 3 before it was replaced with another Hub 3 and the replacement Hub would not accept the back up file that had recently been made.

100% failure rate that I know of and, only you have contradicted it but show no proof and hide behind some kind of NDA.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - 26_Aug_2020

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@MikeRobbo wrote:

Funny old thing but back in mid September an old workmate of mine backed up his Hub 3 before it was replaced with another Hub 3 and the replacement Hub would not accept the back up file that had recently been made.

100% failure rate that I know of and, only you have contradicted it but show no proof and hide behind some kind of NDA.

Check your PM/DM’s - I won’t embarrass you in public.......   and it will take some considerable time to “flesh out”  further and reply...... as VM NDA’s  do require That I respect their Trial / hard-software  offerings with NDA ...... If you really are a Genuine “military software”  developer then you’ll know exactly the restrictions We “both” have to work to! 

Rest assured, I’ll be in touch.....

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED
0 Kudos