cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illegal junction by neighbour?

SkuIIy
Settling in

Hi

I am waiting for technician to come to move my Hub to another room. I was checking possible routes for cables to go in, and I found that someone (probably)  illegal plugged into my cables that are outside my house.
On the photo you can see my cable going to orange box, and cable that I have no idea about taped around
net.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as said whatever the intent was - a hub from ebay maybe and splice into you cable - it will not work - just wait for the tech and let him sort it or report it - its not your problem 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

deans6571
Wise owl

@SkuIIy wrote:

Hi

I am waiting for technician to come to move my Hub to another room. I was checking possible routes for cables to go in, and I found that someone (probably)  illegal plugged into my cables that are outside my house.
On the photo you can see my cable going to orange box, and cable that I have no idea about taped around
net.jpg

...isn't the obvious answer here to just follow the cable and see where it goes?!!!!!

jem101
Superstar

That does look a bit odd, can you very carefully cut away the insulating tape and have a look at exactly what is going to where - if you don't feel happy about doing that, then fine, if you have an installer coming soon to move your hub, you can get them to check what's going on here.

Have you ever had a separate TV connection in another room?

Anyhow, the days when you could buy a third party cable modem, splice it into someone else's feed and get 'free' internet are long since gone, so there is probably a more innocent explanation for what that cable is doing.

@deans6571 wrote:

...isn't the obvious answer here to just follow the cable and see where it goes?!!!!!

...or I suppose you could just do that😔

Well, it goes to neighbours flat...
I don't have good relations with my neighbours here, so I don't want to talk with them about this.
Question is more like 'should I do something about it straight away - call Virgin or report it somehow, or just wait for technician to come and then show it? Because it don't look made professional.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as said whatever the intent was - a hub from ebay maybe and splice into you cable - it will not work - just wait for the tech and let him sort it or report it - its not your problem 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Jonny-M
Fibre optic

It's far more likely that a VM installer or contractor cowboy did that. Look around the forum at some of the mess they're happy to leave on people's houses.

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Skully,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

That does look quite strange - it's possible that when your services were installed, you were set up on a temporary connection where you piggy back off your neighbour, but to be honest if you weren't aware of this before and by the looks of how it was done, it's possible that it is something a bid dodgey. 

I've updated your upcoming engineer appointment notes and asked for them to check this for you during their visit. I would also just remind them when they're at the property and they can confirm for you.

Do keep us posted 🙂

Kind regards

Beth

Beth