cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@cthonus wrote:

Guys - are you aware of Liberty's IPv6 rollout document [Dec 7th 2018]?

It's online at https://www.ipv6.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/LG-Virgin-IPv6-Rollout-UK-IPv6-Council.pdf

"IPv6 Broadband Product launch soon" 

It is something to look at while we eagerly await.

TonyJr

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I must have just missed that update when I checked the other day. It's short and sweet.

Hope that "soon" means January.

January? Which year?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the most affirmative that anyone from Virgin has ever been about deploying IPv6. Surely it's time to pack up the cynicism?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I noted one of the Drawbacks listed on the PDF was "Strict NAT" .......   Gamer's are going to love that one !

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Where in the document is an implementation date mentioned?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When have you ever seen Virgin:

• Publicly discuss the IPv6 transition method they plan to use
  • Explain their (LG's) deployment across the rest of Europe already using that transition mechanism
  • Explain the changes to their core network and voice networks to enable IPv6
  • Run a trial with more than 13,000 users (estimated)
  • Commit to it coming "soon" with no caveats (Remember the best we've had is "second half of 2018 subject to content providers")

Sure, they didn't put a date on the launch. I know from personal experience what it takes to put a date on a large product launch. It's not fun and I can understand why they didn't announce that at a user group meeting like the IPv6 Council.

From all of the evidence VM are publicly serious about deploying IPv6 for the first time. Given the size of the UK VM deployment is going to be approximately what they have already deployed across Europe it's not surprising that we're going last but it seems almost certain that we're about to go.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adduxi wrote:

I noted one of the Drawbacks listed on the PDF was "Strict NAT" .......   Gamer's are going to love that one !

Not just gamers either. 😉

Note in their document it says - Almost transparent to customers

While people browsing the net, watching things like netflix and using facebook etc won't see a difference, there's a lot of people who will.

Tim

Edit - Indeed Google, Facebook and Netflix ave been IPv6 capable for some time.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I wonder how they will implement it for voom business customers which is currently done via an IPv4 GRE tunnel?

@cthonus writes:

Guys - are you aware of Liberty's IPv6 rollout document [Dec 7th 2018]?

It's online at https://www.ipv6.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/LG-Virgin-IPv6-Rollout-UK-IPv6-Council.pdf

"IPv6 Broadband Product launch soon"

Excellent info, despite lack of official date for release.  Many thanks, cthonus!

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.