cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

I'm glad to see that the virgin are finally oficially looking into this. 

It's a difficult switch that can cause some unforseen headaches for end users as much as ISPs. (many have not fully thought through the privicy risks of including your mac address in your IP address). 

That said, the origional comment of "we've got enough IP addresses" was a little short sighted since the internet as a whole has run out of IPV4 addresses a while ago and we still need to be able to communicate with those who will very soon get forced onto IPV6.

On the whole though, very excited at this and if there is to be a customer trial then just show me where to sign up 🙂

According to BBC IPv6 is launching on 6th June, lets hope VM has something in place by then considering they have known for a long time that this day would be coming

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16601636

Anonymous
Not applicable
ipv6 is not launching. its jsut a date HE as set like they did for ipv6 day last year.

IPv6 will never have a global launch date. its already here. i've been using ipv6 for about 8 years

Sorry, wrong choice of words, my bad, thanks for educating me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

but i still hope VM join in 🙂

To say IPv6 has been around for 10 years, I would hope that all ISPs have this in hand, it just seems a shame that we are on the tail end of the transition not leading such as Asia.

If enabling of IPv6 is done propperly then end users shouldn't really notice, however this will open the doors for new technology improvements in streaming, security, QoS and much more.

Phil

www.phils-blog.co.uk

IPv6 has been around for over 20 years, not 10 years.

Please remember that I am Dyslexic wen replying

I think if we want to be pedantic the IPv6 basic protocol (RFC 2460) was published in 1998 so technically it was 14 years.

I think the real point we want to get out there is that it has been around for a while so there is no excuse for any ISP not to be IPv6 ready.

Phil

www.phils-blog.co.uk

r3loaded
Tuning in

Quick question regarding IPv6 - when the time comes, will it just be a case of VM rolling out a firmware update to Superhubs to enable IPv6 support?

If I was to hazard a guess, I would say that they would roll out dual stack firmware unless it is already in the R30 firmware and just not turned on, 

I guess someone at Virginmedia would be able to confirm that.

If done properly the end users shouldn't really notice, of course security would have to be set-up differently as there is no NAT with IPv6, just routing.

Phil