cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

You guys are crazy if you think that Virgin dont have any plans for IPv6, they are an ISP and will die if they dont support it.  Maybe they just dont want to communicate it with the customers since the vast majority of their customers wont give a rats ass about it.

IPv4 will be around for a few more years yet, we still have loads of address which can be reused. 

The majority of customers have no idea what IPv6 is because they're not technical, so nobody can expect them to voice any interest, neither we nor VirginMedia.  For that matter, those customers don't know what IPv4 is either.  This is all just "the Internet" for them, or worse, they think it's all the Web. 🙂

But we know what IPv6 is, and VM's techies know, and I expect that the company probably *does* want to communicate with customers when it's feasible.  After all, a company that doesn't listen to its customers is likely to be heading for trouble in due course.

In any event, there is no harm in asking Support to put us in contact with whoever might want to hear us on this issue.  The worse that can happen is that Support refuses because they're not allowed to give us contact details.

What I fear more though is that they'll say "We'll pass it on up", but the message goes absolutely nowhere because of "Constipated Large Company Syndrome", which I've come across all too often as a contractor.  (Workforce partitioned into functionally specialized divisions that don't interact except through their division heads, and those heads never rock the boat by pushing the envelope because it limits their promotion prospects.)

Anyway, we can but hope.

But you're right, VM either heads to IPv6 *fast* or its business will be gasping for air before long.  IPv4 addresses have run out, and you can't continue to expand an ISP business without address space.

Morgaine.

"If it only does IPv4, it is broken." -- George Michaelson, APNIC.

pjpickering
Tuning in

If anyone doubts how important IPv6 is, well google, facebook and other large organisations think  it's important!

They will all be taking part in World IPv6 Day http://isoc.org/wp/worldipv6day/participants/

If you are not IPv6 ready here are a few site you won't be able to visit:

www.v6.facebook.com

http://ipv6.google.com

Phil

www.phils-blog.co.uk

Happy IPv6 day everyone. Here is to wishing I could actually participate but I can't because Virgin Media doesn't support IPv6 and doesn't seem in any rush to do so!

i am totally clueless when it comes to anything like this but the word proxy springs to mind.... ?
any ways round vms lack of IPv6 readyness?

Life is like a box of chocolates... om nom nom

No IPv4 Addresses left.Smiley Surprised

Spoiler

My he.net ip6 over ip4 tunnel works very well through my cable modem router. he.net can also allocate you a /64 in addition to the tunnel endpoint address. You can use the he.net DNS service to allocate forward and reverse DNS names to your ip6 addresses, and use the /64 to provide routes within your home network to all the other devices and computers. So I've been able to access ipv6 only services outside my network this way and also provide ipv6 servers globally visible over ipv6 running inside my home network.

chrissw
On our wavelength

Also using he.net IPV6 tunnel here, but I asked for, and got, a /48 prefix, so every VLAN here (there are several!) has a /64 allocated. On the face of it, that allows a ridiculously large number of IPV6 addresses for a home network, but then that's what IPV6 can do.

I don't use their DNS service since I was already using dyndns.com to provide resolution for my IPV4 servers, and they do support the use of AAAA records.

Clearly VM have it all in hand

"

Matt McCloskey, Head of Applications & Services at VM Business, said:

"Since its invention we've seen the internet grow and evolve to the point where it's becoming increasingly clear that we're going to need more IP addresses to sustain its growth. We now live in a connected society where almost every person has an IP enabled device on them at all times. The internet is maturing and the protocols need to change to enable this. However, there's no need to panic; we've been expecting this for a long-time and the necessary precautions have been taken to ensure a smooth switchover.

Here at Virgin Media Business preparations have been ongoing for a long time. As well as our core and access networks being capable of supporting IPv6, we're rigorously testing our entire network to ensure that all customers have a smooth and simple transition when the time comes to flick the switch and turn IPv6 on. We're really pleased with how our tests are advancing and are happy to say that by the end of 2012, we'll be able to fully support customers looking to switch to IPv6."

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/06/08/uk-isp-fluidata-hails-world-ipv6-day-and-points-toward-t...

You would think they would have posted McCloskey's comments here as a "stcky".

Anyway it would appear that we can all relax and leave it to VM 🙂

MonsterKiller
Joining in

I think its time Virgin Media implemented some form of IPv6 support to allow its users to at least access IPv6 sites and services. Shouldn't need to wait to run of out IPv4 or some far off event like that. Its a new technology that lots of people are switching too so Virgin should be able to keep.