cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

I can confirm that if your IPv6 geolocation data is correct for whatever service Netflix uses then Netflix works fine over a (UK POP terminated) HE tunnel. I went through the same issue as @TonyJr a couple of weeks ago and got MaxMind to update the data it has for my HE /64 and /48 (because Speedtest also uses that data and their CLI kept thinking I was in the US...).

For me anything and everything is now working over IPv6 (HE tunnel) with < 10% speed penalty compared to IPv4. I'm a happy bunny. No need for anything more complex than that now for me. Hurrah!

The Iceland website didn’t work/was blocked via the HE tunnel on Tuesday, but a quick email fixed that.

TonyJr

Well, I'm certainly pleased to hear that. I'll give it another go. Challenge for me right now is getting the performance from a router as my current Mikrotik hardware only supports hardware offload for TCP/UDP on IPv4. Realistically I need something much beefier CPU-wise than my CRS309. Thinking of fanless Intel Xeon D based system and rolling it myself with Linux so I can also do dynamic DNS for HE and Cloudflare, but maybe I should look at more Mikrotik? 

@IllLustration wrote:

Well, I'm certainly pleased to hear that. I'll give it another go. Challenge for me right now is getting the performance from a router as my current Mikrotik hardware only supports hardware offload for TCP/UDP on IPv4. Realistically I need something much beefier CPU-wise than my CRS309. Thinking of fanless Intel Xeon D based system and rolling it myself with Linux so I can also do dynamic DNS for HE and Cloudflare, but maybe I should look at more Mikrotik? 

I'm using a NetGate SG3100. Very functional and seems to have plenty of oomph. Also natively supports 6in4 tunnels. It should still suffice for me when I move up to 1 Gbit/s for the Internet connection (when VM Business finally decide to offer it in my area :-().

I bought an i5 based mini router thingy from China, and stuck pfSense on it.

Seems to run well. I 'only' get about 500-600 MBits/sec out of my IPv6 link to HE with it (over 900MBits/sec on IPv4), but to be honest that's more than enough.

Andy

Mmm, Netgate (or Protectli) hardware looks nice, but I definitely have a preference for Linux and at least one 10GBaseT (or SFP+). I'm going to bond to the Hub4 in the process to future-proof myself for any speed increases; together with 6in4 that's a guaranteed need for some CPU beefiness. I am eyeing up something like the Supermicro SuperServer E302-9D. Is there anything else in that ballpark--perhaps from Supermicro, but could be elsewhere? I need to operate it entirely headless (not even initial setup with a screen) and ideally fanless and pre-assembled. Guess this is turning into a project all its own ...

jamesmacwhite
Superfast

Well, it's finally happening! Openreach are deploying FTTP in my area, loads of activity on one.network and contractors for Openreach are in the area, digging up pavements and putting in ducting with connection points outside each address. I got pinged recently that next week Openreach contractors are specifically at my road. Luckily, I live on a newer estate which already has underground ducting and a existing entry cover for the FTTC line, so hopefully no digging and more a case of just running the fibre when it gets to me.

There's going to be some competition for fibre broadband finally that's not FTTC/VDSL. What's going to be first to go live, an alternative FTTP provider or Virgin Media deploying IPv6. The race is on!

@jamesmacwhite wrote:

What's going to be first to go live, an alternative FTTP provider or Virgin Media deploying IPv6. The race is on!

I think I know where I'd put my money if I were a gambling man...

Andy

I wish I could get FTTP, just for improved upload. The crazy thing for me is I live on a small 50s estate and the first 6 houses are served from a pole on the main road and have FTTP available from the Chorley exchange, the others are served from poles on the estate connected to Bamber Bridge with no FTTP available to us. we are scheduled to get FTTP by 2024 so stuck with VM for some time yet.

Still I just checked my tunnel speed. I use PfSense to create the tunnel and deliver a /64 to the home network.

ipv6.PNG

So 600Mb download, so still some overhead from HE being consumed or capped.

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

@Timwilky wrote:

I wish I could get FTTP, just for improved upload. The crazy thing for me is I live on a small 50s estate and the first 6 houses are served from a pole on the main road and have FTTP available from the Chorley exchange, the others are served from poles on the estate connected to Bamber Bridge with no FTTP available to us. we are scheduled to get FTTP by 2024 so stuck with VM for some time yet.

Still I just checked my tunnel speed. I use PfSense to create the tunnel and deliver a /64 to the home network.

ipv6.PNG

So 600Mb download, so still some overhead from HE being consumed or capped.

It's worth routing your /48 over your HE tunnel, rather than the single /64. Gives you room for the future for multiple subnets i.e. if you want to have multiple VLANs etc. It prevents issues if you wanted to scale up with multiple subnets in the future, you cannot (well you can but you shouldn't) subnet a /64 as it's breaks SLAAC. The minimum really should be a /56, with the exception of HE a /48 is probably in the business line category in most cases, some ISPs will still only provide a /64, which is technically not right in my opinion, but as we know, getting IPv6 in the first place is a challenge to begin with.