cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

ksim
Up to speed

After moving house came back to VM, openreach network was only 20Mbit in this area, which is very sad. Got super Hub 4 with fan in it! currently HE tunnel is working fine, getting ~200+Mbit for multi-stream download and ~32Mbit for uploads, https://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/1625581719833838755 this is over wifi with temporary network setup (haven't had my server cabinet set yet)

To try and add a bit more data to this, I'm on bagu-cmts-16 (which is a Cisco) and confirm I see NO router-advertisements from my Virgin Hub 3 in modem mode 😞. My area is a DOCSIS 3.1 area, as M1000 is showing as available at my address.

In other news, I have tried a he.net IPv6 tunnel a few times over the past 4 years, and consistently get shocking (<20Mbit) performance on IPv6 traffic, while getting 370Mbit+ on IPv4.

Routing a /64 over a Wireguard VPN to a Linode VPS gives me 350Mbit, presumably losing a bit due to the overhead.

L2TP to the same Linode VPS was giving me 350Mbit for a little while, but then out of nowhere started behaving like the he.net 6in4 tunnel.

It was fun to experiment, and I've been tempted to keep the Wireguard tunnel up and running, but I'm back to native v4-only at the moment. That said, I had no issues with the /64 that Linode gave me, and Netflix etc worked OK without detecting any VPN (and I did verify it was using the IPv6 block). Thankfully my area is OK congestion wise, and I believe I'm on a pretty quiet segment, so even the single-threaded nature of a tunnel wasn't causing any major loss in performance.

TonyHoyle
On our wavelength

I'm not seeing any RAs here but probably it's only some areas (I think we're only DOCSIS3.0 here).. I'll keep the router listening though.

I've not seen any slowdowns but the L2TP tunnel to my other ISP (that handles my v4 and v6 blocks) is capped at 100Mbps anyway.

I've just renewed my 1Gb/1Gb leased line with Virgin Media Business, which costs considerable sums of money for our business.

I explicitly asked, can I have IPv6 please, and the response was:

With regards to IPv6, sadly this is still something that we don’t offer. I will make a note on my system to notify you if and when we can roll this out.

If........lol

We've had IPv6 with our other leased line with BTnet for yonks.

I saw this link earlier: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/11/update-on-ipv6-plans-for-virgin-media-talktalk-plusnet...

notable comment:

A VMO2 Spokesperson told ISPreview this week:

“We are continuing to plan our IPV6 deployment having tested several solutions and intend to introduce IPV6 for our customers in future.”

so, bugger all actual progress then... as expected...

adhawkins
Up to speed

On a slightly positive note, the Hub 4 that I'm on now after upgrading to Gigabit seems to have less issues with IPv6 tunnels such as those provided by Hurricane Electric.

Previously I would typically get something like 20 MBits/sec through my HE tunnel on my 350 MBits/sec connection. Sometimes I would get periods where I would get almost the full rate, but these seemed few and far between.

However, I'm now getting something like 900-950 MBits/sec on my IPv4 link, with speeds generally in excess of 500 MBits/sec over the HE IPv6 tunnel. While this isn't ideal, it's a whole lot better than it used to be.

Andy

On a slight note what was broken is still broken just not as broken..

Positive I guess 😜

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

So finally, for unrelated reasons, VM Business replaced my old Hitron router with one of the new GigaBit capable Chita units. Surprise, surprise (not), my HE 6in4 tunnel now consistently gives close to IPv4 speeds (I am on 500 Mbit service, not GigaBit [yet])

So, at least in my case, the problem was most definitely the old generation VM hardware (SuperHub 3 and Hitron).

I am, for now, a (relatively) happy bunny.

@ChrisJenkins wrote:

So finally, for unrelated reasons, VM Business replaced my old Hitron router with one of the new GigaBit capable Chita units. Surprise, surprise (not), my HE 6in4 tunnel now consistently gives close to IPv4 speeds (I am on 500 Mbit service, not GigaBit [yet])

So, at least in my case, the problem was most definitely the old generation VM hardware (SuperHub 3 and Hitron).

I did think about you when I saw that Virgin Media were releasing a new modem for VM Business, glad it's helped!

It is coming up to the twelve year anniversary of this thread starting in March! The Have Virgin Media enabled IPv6 yet website page is still up, those IPv6 RAs are still teasing me on the wire when looking at tcpdump, but no real change. Will 2022 be the year?! Who knows.

@ChrisJenkins wrote:

Excellent. Does the Chita unit still have the ability to do the GRE tunnel for static IPs?

TonyJr