cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

djr55slrd
Joining in

I believe the problem with IPv6 tunnels is the TV box and not anything Virgin Media is doing as suggested by others.

It appears to me that when the TV box sees an IPv6 address it assumes it is from a Virgin server and switches over from IPv4 to IPv6.

By isolating the TV box from IPv6 addresses my tunnel is now working perfectly.

No, it’s not the tv box. I have the same issues and don’t take tv service from Virgin, just broadband. 

I don't have TV service from Virgin but I still have the tunnel problem. Note that it isn't that the tunnel doesn't work but rather that the throughput is very, very low (< 30 Mbit/s).

I _do_ take TV from Virgin Media and my IPv6 tunnel through Hurrican Electric is running at 187mbit today over WiFi (I'm on the 200 package). Superhub 4 in modem mode, ASUS RT-AX86U as the router

@matthewsteeples wrote:

I _do_ take TV from Virgin Media and my IPv6 tunnel through Hurrican Electric is running at 187mbit today over WiFi (I'm on the 200 package). Superhub 4 in modem mode, ASUS RT-AX86U as the router

Yea, the speed issue was variable for me at least.  I have tested and had full speeds but then wham -- bad speeds galore.  Keep testing and see if it remains okay all the time.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

The SuperHub 4 is generally acknowledged to not suffer from these issues; only SuperHub 3 and lower (and Hitron). Sadly I cannot find any way to get VM to give me a SuperHub 4...

@ChrisJenkins wrote:

The SuperHub 4 is generally acknowledged to not suffer from these issues; only SuperHub 3 and lower (and Hitron). Sadly I cannot find any way to get VM to give me a SuperHub 4...

All down to DOCSIS 3.1 being enabled in your area currently. While the Hub4 can work on DOCSIS 3.0 it is an unsupported config which Virgin Media won't really support. I was offered a Hub4 a while back while not being in a DOCSIS 3.1 area, but they basically said for any support or issues you'd basically be limited to a very selective few as it wouldn't be widely supported, so I didn't bother in the end. I don't know if the 2021 target for DOCSIS 3.1 being enabled everywhere is still on course due to the pandemic.

Hi,

Just run an ipv6 speed test for the first time in a while, and I seem to be getting full speeds through my HE tunnel at the moment too.

e67d01a6c281af8b4bbe9a3feb591357

Andy

@adhawkins wrote:

Hi,

Just run an ipv6 speed test for the first time in a while, and I seem to be getting full speeds through my HE tunnel at the moment too.

e67d01a6c281af8b4bbe9a3feb591357

Andy

Image is blocked currently. Did you use ipv6-test.com? Can you confirm with iperf3 if not already, ipv6-test.com HTTP speed test seems to have a lot of weird variances.

Hi,

It was with test-ipv6, yes.

However, I got 300 MBits/sec on it, when typically I would only get about 30 MBits/sec when it's 'slow'. I doubt that could be accounted for by some sort of test variance.

Will run another test next time I'm on a 'wired' PC and see if it's consistent. I've had speeds like this in the past, but they never seem to last long.

Andy