cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

jeffsmith82
On our wavelength

https://www.change.org/p/virgin-media-deploy-ipv6-to-your-customers anyone fancy signing this to see if it helps ?

most residential customers wouldn't know what IPv6 is. ask 100 random people in the street what it is, i'd be very sure 99 would look blankly at you. to get even a hundred thousand people sign would have to know what they were signing and be remotely interested.

despite the 124 pages on here going back 11 years or a page a month from the usual suspects, most couldn't care less as long as their internet is working.

an admin replied recently here there is no update, a 'successful' change org campaign won't change anything aside from a press release 'watch this space' at the very best, ie there is no update and wait.

I created it out of curiosity to see who would sign it. I haven't pushed it hard and I don't expect anything to come of it, as it is a technicial topic. It was actually done after I did the havevirginmediaenabledipv6yet.co.uk site for a bit of fun. The main point was to essentially highlight that it has been going on for 10+ years and Virgin Media's major competitors have been there done that for years on IPv6. Equally the speed issues with 6in4 is a double whammy for maximum trolling for those who care.

Virgin might be innovating and pushing beyond 1Gbps broadband based on recent press but they'll hold onto legacy IPv4 for dear life. Slightly ironic really.

@jamesofmerton wrote:
most residential customers wouldn't know what IPv6 is.

You can also ask them also about IPv4, DNS, ICMP, and get the same results, you can even go to the VM engineering department, and you might get 2 out of 100 who know these words.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ksim wrote:
<snip>
You can also ask them also about IPv4, DNS, ICMP, and get the same results, you can even go to the VM engineering department, and you might get 2 out of 100 who know these words.

I hope you are wrong, but this brought a smile to my face 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Z92
Trouble shooter

You've also got people who know what IPv6 but don't understand the differences between that and v4, or just prefer working with ipv4 as it's what they understand. 

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello dgcarter

Thanks for your question

Right now we haven't got any plans to implement IPv6 on our network 

How ever you are in the right place to find out once we do 

Gareth_L

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello dgcarter

Thanks for your question

Gareth_L

oh Gareth_L, you sweet summer child...

@Adduxi wrote:

@ksim wrote:
<snip>

I hope you are wrong, but this brought a smile to my face 🙂

He's not wrong.

When there's been big DNS issues in the past getting past first level support was nearly impossible, because they don't offer DNS, tho that was many years ago.

I also remember when my email wasn't working and it was only because they don't support SMTP, they just supported Windows Live Mail or something like that, long time ago too.

Ever have the wrong config file pushed to your modem?, I have, but guess what.... They don't push config files to modems - perhaps it's my WiFi and premium support could help me fix the issue.  That went on for weeks with phone and forum staff, then one of them looks it up and says it's because my modem didn't support the new config files - so I should be a happy customer that they found the problem - after weeks.

For IPv6 well...

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello dgcarter

Thanks for your question

Gareth_L

That is a change - and honestly one we should just ignore - from their previous views.

If you dig back through their views it's been anything from: Users don't need it, We aren't running out of IPv4 yet, We are looking at deploying it soon, It's in trials, What's IPv6, We have no plans.

What you can take from all of this is that they generally and honestly don't care.  It's not a PR issue nor is it a Sales point, thus it's a non profitable "feature" that needs not be added.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

tbh, my discount on broadband has expired so I'm looking around at other options.. right now I'm trying to determine if I can have 200meg+ fibre to my house. BT say no, but EE (who belong to BT) say yes. I have a sad suspicion that it's EE that are wrong but I'm trying to get some confirmation... if I can get 200meg+ fibre with ipv6 for a similar price then I don't feel like there's much keeping me here.