cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPv6 support on Virgin media

dgcarter
Dialled in

Does anyone know whether (and if so when) Virgin plan to implement IPv6 on its network?

1,493 REPLIES 1,493

@VMCopperUser wrote:

You should have made it IPv6 only, then the staff wouldn't be able to complain about content as it wouldn't be accessible to them.

I only wish I could.  Unfortunately these are administrator interfaces, and with the pandemic we need to be able to WFH.

I'll stick with my IPv6 enabled (and smoothly working) ISP for now and move back to virgin media only once they support both halves of the internet.

cje85
Trouble shooter

New hostnames are rolling out in some areas, with a reference to "v4wan" (IPv4 WAN). This could mean a v6wan is getting closer.

made up example of the new format: manc-12-b1-v4wan-123456-cust1.vm1.cable.virginm.net

Interesting they've modified the reverse DNS format.

I  found recently on my OpenWrt router that if I changed a certain kernel parameter related to Router Advertisements, it managed to pull two specific v6 prefixes from Virgin Media upstream on the WAN, there was no IPv6 routing happening, but based on speaking to someone at Liberty Global, they've been configured for a while. These are the prefixes I got that ended up in my IPv6 routing table:

2a02:8800:f000:18b0::/64
2a02:88fd:18:a::/64

Which are from:

2a02:8800::/24
2a02:88e0::/27

So there is clearly some IPv6 on the WAN side, sort of by accident that OpenWrt could pick them but as I mentioned, I did have to change a kernel option related to router advertisements.

Please do post a tutorial, i’ve been trying to get my edgerouter x to use he.net for ipv6

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Dgcarter, 

thanks for your post, there are no updated on this if we do implement this we will be sure to let our customers know

Zoie

@Zoie_P wrote:

Hi Dgcarter, 

thanks for your post, there are no updated on this if we do implement this we will be sure to let our customers know

Zoie

aaah Zoie. Would you be able to have a word with whoever one has words with and ask if there's any chance they could put together an update on this? only Virgin Media is.. aah.. shall we say "somewhat behind the curve" here and we've been asking these questions for at least 11 years going by my own involvement with this thread. this thread may be the oldest still active thread on this forum and it's pretty much the only thread I read here.

not to put too fine a point on it, but the speed is the only reason I'm still here as I really want IPv6 and virgin has been promising news about progress with this for a *long, long* time and not delivering... so if you could give them a little poke from us, that would be appreciated... thanks!

I just looked at the start of this thread again and noticed that the first two members of the forum team to respond to dgcarter's initial question on the first page are both now listed as retired...

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I responded to Dcarters as this is the thread that was assigned.

There are not updates there is no word.

Zoie

@fayz wrote:

Please do post a tutorial, i’ve been trying to get my edgerouter x to use he.net for ipv6

http://community.ui.com would be the better place to ask.  If someone else here has the same router using HE then they might be able to help, but I would reach out to the UI help team.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.

@Zoie_P wrote:

I responded to Dcarters as this is the thread that was assigned.

There are not updates there is no word.

Zoie

Zoie,

I think he gave up and left VM years ago I’m afraid.

I get that you can’t give any updates, but please can you escalate this and point out to the powers that be that we’ve been asking for 11 years.. 11 years...! that virgin has been left behind here by many of their competitors. That you have customers who cannot access internet resources because VM gave continually drag their feet and refuse to support an important technology.

I’m not have a go at you personally, I know you’re doing the job you’ve been given, but your colleagues and superiors should know how ridiculous this all is. 

I’ve mostly stuck around due to a major case of CBA, but your competitors are catching up in the speed stakes and what they offer now is fast enough really, even if it’s slower than what VM offers.

thanks anyway

david